Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Prestige Series Kits?

A quick search on eBay (by the way even if you hate the place, and refuse to shop there, it's still your friend for stuff like this) turns up...

1955 M-B 300SL

1963 Ford Galaxie 500

1963 Avanti

1963 Corvette Convertible

1963 Impala SS

1965 Pontiac Grand Prix

1965 Pontiac Bonneville

1965 Lincoln Continental

1969 Corvair

Silhouette Show Car

Edited by niteowl7710

Some great responses here. But you might get a lot more responses if you had a more descriptive thread title like

"AMT Prestige Series questions," instead of a blind one like this where we don't know what you're talking about. Just sayin'.

Edited by sjordan2

A quick search on eBay (by the way even if you hate the place, and refuse to shop there, it's still your friend for stuff like this) turns up...

1955 M-B 300SL

1963 Ford Galaxie 500

1963 Avanti

1963 Impala SS

1965 Pontiac Grand Prix

1965 Pontiac Bonneville

1965 Lincoln Continental

1969 Corvair

Silhouette Show Car

Very good, sir! This is the complete list.

Edited by Junkman

Correct. No 40s kit was in that series.

The Oldest being the Benz 300 Gullwing

Also, the 63 Galaxie Sports Roof & 65 Lincoln were the first 2 kits in the series.

I have all kits in the series, though my Corvair is Not in that box!!

I have the 63 Impala, and both 65 Pontiac's started

(Plus another of both Pontiac's not started)

Silhouette Show Car, Avanti & Vette Roadster are not started either

Edited by Edsel-Dan

1955 M-B 300SL

1963 Ford Galaxie 500

1963 Avanti

1963 Impala SS

1965 Pontiac Grand Prix

1965 Pontiac Bonneville

1965 Lincoln Continental

1969 Corvair

Silhouette Show Car

The '63 Vette convertible didn't include the pen holder/base. It came with the AMT drag strip accessories parts pack tree instead.

I don't know who made it but my Dad built the STP Turbine Car w/pen holder base back in the late '60's

That was an MPC 1/20-scale kit. The pen holder base that was originally included with the STP Turbine is the same one that surfaced in the Prestige series in the 1980s.

I didn't have that problem in any of my kits luckily.

I built the Lincoln as a Stock Phantom Wagon .

LincolnWagon-Ls.jpg

Woodgrain is Contact Paper with Chrome strips from a Testor's 48 Ford kit as "Woody" Surround

Not all kits in the series had the base/pen holder, Or the "Mini"Chrome-foil sheet.

1 or 2 had the Trophies/Stantions from the Customizing series.

I need to dig out the Avanti, Benz Gullwing, both 65 Pontiacs & Silhouette to see what they have.

Edited by Edsel-Dan

i stil have a few of those "car show" chrome trees... IMHO they were more value than a plastic tray, although i still have a couple of those as well. it wasn't a bad way to get some more mileage out of those venerable kits.... AMT used "collection" series kits MANY times through the years.. "Cruisin' USA", "Countdown", "Reggie Jackson", just a few that come to mind. what DID come as a welcome surprise was that in some of those "Prestige" kits, AMT added spec sheets and other reference material. some came with small packets of A-B epoxy putty, probably the worst filler in the world for beginners to cut their teeth on, especially if that kit had been on the store shelf for a couple of years! retailers probably complained more about the larger than usual boxes....

Not all kits in the series had the base/pen holder, Or the "Mini"Chrome-foil sheet.

1 or 2 had the Trophies/Stantions from the Customizing series.

I need to dig out the Avanti, Benz Gullwing, both 65 Pontiacs & Silhouette to see what they have.

That's true. The Avanti has the car show accessories instead of the pen holder. I don't know which others since the Avanti is the only one I've built.