Model Cars Magazine Forum

FJ Holden Race Car (1953 to 1957)

sports850

The FJ Holden was an Australian built sedan from 1953 to 1957 , I bought two resin kits of dubious quality a while ago , built one for a friend as a replica of his former car and had the other sitting around for a while looking for inspiration . I got enthused after seeing the foreign cars community build and decided to turn it into a mythical race car from the early 60's (back in the time before racing harnesses and roll cages , these guy's were nut's racing while sliding on bench seats) . It was my first attempt at masking and painting pin stripes and they fought me all the way with paint bleeding under the tape etc ... The body is still sitting too high on the chassis but I have already sanded the interior tub down so it will sit lower , any thinner and there won't be a floor left . There are flaws in the paint and finish but I'm happy with it , today was the first day I could get it outside for some natural light photo's (and didn't notice the fingerprint in the polish on the right side of the bonnet till I looked at the photo's :( ) . Huge thankyou to maltsr for providing the wheels fitted here , the ones that came with the kit had hubcaps moulded on which wouldn't do for a race car :)

fjparts.jpg

fuelup2.jpg

driveway.jpg

driveway2.jpg

driveway3.jpg

Problem if that if I set the chassis higher in the body the interior tub will be too high in the body and visible above the doors . Its cast in fairly thick resin but I suspect originally made in thin resin or diecast . I've already thinned the interior tub as much as I can so will leave it as is , it must be so high on the suspension since its launching hard at the start of the race ;)