Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg 1964 Superstock Dodges - 2 at once ? oh why not.

gtx6970

With my renewed interest in building agian, I decided to tackle 2 at once. Both basically the exact same kit, just different decals and One an automatic and the 2nd a 4 speed car.

I got them sanded and in primer yesterday, then painted and cleared this morning.

Duplicolor white with U-POL clear on top.

Edited by gtx6970

I'm still trying to determine 100% of the interior colors of the 2 cars.

I think the Strickler/Dodge Boys car was red interior and 4 spd

and the Oldfield / Iron Butterfly car was tan interior and auto

Anyone able to confirm one way or the other ?

The info we recieved from a nephew of Mr Oldfields when we did the decals for the "Iron ButterFly" is it had a Tan interior. I might add he was very very helpful getting us info on his uncles "Good Guys" Dart as well and some contact info for several other cars we have done he is a great person and like Models as well..

Bruce Sadewater (Decals By Lucas)

I'm still trying to determine 100% of the interior colors of the 2 cars.

I think the Strickler/Dodge Boys car was red interior and 4 spd

and the Oldfield / Iron Butterfly car was tan interior and auto

Anyone able to confirm one way or the other ?

This one the paint laid down just to nice to just let it sit till fall. I am going to have to finish this asap.

Lindberg body with nothing but mold lines sanded down . Cheap primer called 'brite touch'. I use it becase A- I've never had a problem with it attacking the plastic , plus it's cheap, then Duplicolor white with U-POL clear . The rest will be pretty much out of the box with maybe fuel lines and plug wires added.

Decals came from Bruce at Decals by Lucas...... and a BIG thumbs up the decals btw.

So far I've found out the car was tan interior, pretty sure it was bucket seats. and an auto. Just need to find out if it retained the dash mounted push button shifter or if an aftermkt floor shift was used. The original car was built in the 1968-69 time frame so I know it wasn't one of the original factory Hemi super stockers.

Dick_Oldfield.JPG

Edited by gtx6970

Of Coarse you know I want to give you a page on our website right I will be sending you an email shortly for info..

Great looking build by the way.. anyone else that has any of our stuff built lets get it on the web site you get you own page unlimited models can go on it ..

This one the paint laid down just to nice to just let it sit till fall. I am going to have to finish this asap.

Lindberg body with nothing but mold lines sanded down . Cheap primer called 'brite touch'. I use it becase A- I've never had a problem with it attacking the plastic , plus it's cheap, then Duplicolor white with U-POL clear . The rest will be pretty much out of the box with maybe fuel lines and plug wires added.

Decals came from Bruce at Decals by Lucas...... and a BIG thumbs up the decals btw.

So far I've found out the car was tan interior, pretty sure it was bucket seats. and an auto. Just need to find out if it retained the dash mounted push button shifter or if an aftermkt floor shift was used. The original car was built in the 1968-69 time frame so I know it wasn't one of the original factory Hemi super stockers.

Dick_Oldfield.JPG

Got a chance to do some work on the Iron Butterfly car this weekend.

Grille is detailed and assembled. and I painted the interior to do a mockup and ck how the colors look inside the body.

I haven't been able to come up with anything to show if this car used the simple non patterned door panels like real 1964 Superstock Hemi cars, or if it just used the more common Dodge 440 interior . I don't need it to be 100% accuarate , but I want it to represent the actual car reasonably well for my shelf.

So I decided to just wing it and just use the stock lindberg interior panels painted in a color scheme typical for model year.,....which was a medium tan with medium brown accents. From some reason the picture makes the interior it look considerably darker than it is in natural light. But I'm happy with it and once the floorpan is painted flat black like the originals,, I'll add a roll bar , glue it together and call it done....then concentrate on the drivetrain.

Edited by gtx6970

Got the crossram Hemi primered and painted in the correct race Hemi orange color, which is a lighter orange with a lot of yellow in it compared to normal strret hemi orange. And with the black valve covers it should look pretty good in the white engine bay.

But after looking at the dinky little dist and cap from the kit. So I decided not to use it.

And I decided to go aftermkt and not to keep it a 100% out of the box build.

Just yesterday I got in some of the prewired dists from MAD. But Those little black dist cap boots install was kinda tough to put on. So I think maybe a lighted magnifying glass is in my future.

The spark plug wiring tubes are just crimp tubes from the Michaels. I might crimp them down so they're more oval than round, and maybe paint them black

I've decided the Dodge boys car will be a finish it build for later this fall after 1/1 car show season dies down. I've been swamped the past few weeks.

I sell restoration parts and supplies for Mopar muscle cars and show / swap meet season is in full swing right now. In addition to working on full size cars in my own shop.

So bench time is imited.

DSC01745.JPG

DSC01752.JPG

Edited by gtx6970

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get a little bench time this week .

Did a test fit on the interior only to find out it's to thick to fit up in the body. cry.gif

So I thinned the top edges of the interior panels ever so slightly.

Essentially took half the thickness off of them .

Then once the wheels were dry and the rolling stock was on, I did a test fit to make sure I liked the stance it has. And I do.

So hopefully I can get the BMF on the trim maybe this weekend and get this one wrapped up maybe next week or so.

Comments welcome. and Thanks for looking.