Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do any of our resin casters offer these Monogram wheels?

The available literature back then referred to them as Starfish wheels, although I don't recall ever seeing them and Google didn't seem to have any info on them either. Nonetheless, Monogram offered them on their Son of Ford kit...

rdRoadsterSonOfFordMonogram001-vi.jpg

...as well as their Boss A Bone kit

CCI10222009_00000-vi.jpg

I think they used the front wheels from these kits on the Badman '55 Chevy kit, but I'd like to have a matching front & rear (big & little) set.

I'm guessing resin is my only option because the kits are ancient and, to the best of my knowledge, were never reissued.

Edited by Monty

I think the Fire Iron's wheels are the same, except the fronts are much narrower:

Monogram%207530-0225%20Fireiron.JPG

The Baja Bandito/Beast or Firebomb kits are probably your best best for a complete set of big 'n' littles:

13-2.jpg

I don't know if the Boss A Bone actually included the Starfish wheels or not, but the box art shows what look like American 200-S "Daisy" style wheels:

CCI10222009_00002-vi.jpg

The Baja Bandito/Beast or Firebomb kits are probably your best best for a complete set of big 'n' littles:

I don't know if the Boss A Bone actually included the Starfish wheels or not, but the box art shows what look like American 200-S "Daisy" style wheels:

CCI10222009_00002-vi.jpg

Modified Pulp Fiction reference: "Look at the big brain on Casey!" Good stuff! I'm not that familiar with most of Monogram's older kits, so your listing of the Baja Beast and Firebomb may prove highly beneficial. My (mis)information about the wheels on the Boss A Bone came from another modeling site. The stylized top box art kinda gives you the impression that it's equipped with the "starfish" wheels, but the photograph on the side of the box obviously shows otherwise. I recognize those rear A/R 200s from the Badman '55 Chevy; have the front A/R wheels ever been used in any other kits? I'd love to have that full set of wheels too.

I can't think of any other Monogram kits, other than the Badman, which used the American 200-S rear wheels.

The original issue "Poison Pinto" also used the Starfish big 'n' little wheels and tires:

vintage-poison-pinto-monogram-tom-daniels_320791088499.jpg

...as did the Rat Vega kit, but not the original issue:

The original issue appears to use Torq Thrust style wheels (at least up front) as on the Boss A Bone box art:

bow.gif You are indeed the master of Monogram model minutiae! (I had never even heard of some of those). If I begged you nicely, would you mind using your extensive knowledge to answer the question I stuck in toward the end of post #3? (Have the Boss A Bone's front American Racing 200 wheels ever been used in any other kits?) I'd love to have that full set of wheels too). Thanks! cheers2.gif

Have the Boss A Bone's front American Racing 200 wheels ever been used in any other kits?

I can't say for sure if they are the same, but the last(?) reissue of the Rat Vega kit as the "VEGA MINI-VAN" has 200-S wheels fore and aft:

The original issue of the Rat Vega has the American Torq Thrust style wheels (shown on the Boss A Bone box art drawing), as seen on this build:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40185

bow.gif You are indeed the master of Monogram model minutiae! (I had never even heard of some of those). If I begged you nicely, would you mind using your extensive knowledge to answer the question I stuck in toward the end of post #3? (Have the Boss A Bone's front American Racing 200 wheels ever been used in any other kits?) I'd love to have that full set of wheels too). Thanks! cheers2.gif

If they don't have to be Monogram.AMT's 1963 Impala has American 200-S wheels.All four are skinny wheels.

American 200-S wheels are rare.The only other model I can think of is MPC's 1970 Challenger.

If they don't have to be Monogram.AMT's 1963 Impala has American 200-S wheels.All four are skinny wheels.

American 200-S wheels are rare.The only other model I can think of is MPC's 1970 Challenger.

Old Monogram '57 Vette has the 'daisies' also...

I made molds and have casted the wheels from the Baja Beast. I just haven't taken pics or put them up on my website. take a look at my Baja Beast in the Under Glass section - the build the casted wheels painted with Spax Stiks chrome. I'll get some pics up.

Here's pics of the Spyder and Starfish wheels I cast.

100_4688.jpg

Spyders are 16.98mm diameter

100_4687.jpg

Starfish fronts are 15.46mm diameter, 5.0mm deep. Rears are 17.10mm diameter, 7.62mm deep

You can just click on Crazy Scale Auto Parts below and it should take you to my website (price sheet not updated yet).

Edited by crazyjim

One more source for starfish wheels for the Son Of Ford is the old Monogram Tijuana Taxi that was reissued a couple of yeras ago, this kit might be the easiest to find.

Edited by Force

Monty, if your interested in the Daisy Mags(big & littles), I have them. Just click on the link below or you can visit my e-Bay store.......

Monty, if your interested in the Daisy Mags(big & littles), I have them. Just click on the link below or you can visit my e-Bay store.......

Your plumbing drain parts are very cool!