Model Cars Magazine Forum

question for you guys?

modelcarmaster

It all depends, are you building for contests?, are you building for your self?, there are manys ways to build a model, build it the way you want to, its all about having fun. You will over time learn the skills to build better models, but it comes with time, I am 31, been building since I was say around 10 years old, and its only been in the last year that my builds turn out decent.

If you try to build contest quality builds now, all thats going to happen is make it feel like a lot of work, and take the fun out this hobby.

So just build for your self, dont worry about what others on here think or say how you should build your kits .

Disclaimer

that was not aimed at Futurabat or anyone else

Here's an idea: do your best, and don't worry how much time it takes.

A well-done model isn't judged by how long it took to build it. Once it's finished and on display, how long it took to build is completely irrelevant. What matters is the final product. So stop paying so much attention to how much time you're taking, and pay attention to your work. Quit watching the clock!

One thing to add, is I had a speed issue as well; and it showed. Then I took a break and amassed a stash. Now i have two or three going at once. While A is drying I can go back to B and while they're drying I can start cleaning up and prepping C. Forces me to slow down and gives me time to think. I don't know if you're able to spend on multiple kits at a time but if you can it can force you into more drying time.

I just feel like a big 'ol target tonight! :D No worries Johnathan, our opinions are similar and both very valid. Multiple points of view are necessary for anyone to build an informed opinion. ;)

Just making sure , I agree with what you were saying, and you gave good advise, you know, if you take the target off you back, you might be better off :lol:

One thing to add, is I had a speed issue as well; and it showed. Then I took a break and amassed a stash. Now i have two or three going at once. While A is drying I can go back to B and while they're drying I can start cleaning up and prepping C. Forces me to slow down and gives me time to think. I don't know if you're able to spend on multiple kits at a time but if you can it can force you into more drying time.

Same here I have to have to more the one build going on, I have up to three new builds going, and working other projects that are model related, but enough to keep me working on something and not rushing to get one build finished as soon as I can.

I am very impatient person alot of times, and one of those times is with models

Edited by martinfan5

I've built cars in 2 hours,,and i have some i been working on for 6 mos now,, Depends on what your doing, and if it makes you happy. I have a motor setting there that has over 12 hrs on it.

Do what makes you happy,,But the more time you spend detailing each and every part, the better it will look..Spend time

looking up pictures of that vechile,,and try to make your match, wiring, brake lines, heater hoses, etc, etc,,

*** When i was young,, I was a Rabbit,, But now I'm OLD,,i find Slow can be a lot more FUN.******

Hey Jesse,

I posted in your other posts and have seen your work, and knowing your age and level of patience we all had at that age, you are probably rushing through them a bit, but that isnt a bad thing it is a normal thing and something that is easily fixed, it all depends on the level of detail and quality of the end item you want.

Like I suggested in another of your posts, I was the same way, I started nascar modelling when I was 13 and I would bang them out, they looked good, but I knew they could be much better. That is when I started following the advice of another builder, and I began looking at each piece in a model set to be it's own model.

so for instance I would take the engine halves, put them together, sand and fill where needed until I was extremely happy with it. THen I would set it aside, and for example start on the roll cage. I would take each piece of the roll cage, treat it as its own model, filing, sanding and filling where needed and painting. when I was done with each individual rollcage piece then I would put the rollcage together and treat that as its own model.

That way I learned patience, and not to rush to see the finished product, instead I got to see all the small finished products morph into one final piece that I could be very proud of.

Keep it up mate your still young, and you have lots of little tricks to learn, One thing I would suggest, that really helped me, was getting subscriptions to the various modelling magazines, there is such a wealth of information in each issue it is amazing.

FarSide-Deer.jpg

ROTFLMAO. This is one of my very favorite cartoons of all time! I've seen it a thousand times, and it cracks me up every single time!! Long live the wonderfully sick humor of Gary Larson!!

(Thanks for resurrecting it here, Jacen! I needed that first thing this morning.)

Jesse,

Lots of good advice here, but to be a self-satisfying, happy and proud modeler ~ especially if you really want to earn and live up to the audacious handle you selected for yourself ~ pay serious attention to Derrick's sage words. Slow down, treat each part as THE model, assemble carefully, and model on!

B)