Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mr GASSER 2012! Update: 7-25-12

Ira

Mr GASSER 2012!!!

Always wanted to build one of these...but I wanted to make it more like the Box Art and less like the Model!

DSCN5985G.jpg

so, I picked up a Mr Gasser from Ebay and Glued his body halves together!

DSCN5990G.jpg

I always thought Mr Gasser sat about 2 inches too tall in the Chevy...so I cut off his bottom!!!

DSCN5997G.jpg

I think this looks more like the right height for Mr Gasser in the Ed Roth's Box Art...

DSCN6027G.jpg

Yep, I'm Happy Now!

:)

Edited by Ira

The thing that's different about building these types of models is that one's technical building skill doesn't have to be really good. BUT...one's painting skills need to be!

Thanks for your comments Terry!

Edited by Ira

Hey lra,

Been enjoying your builds for a while. Are you a car guy or an artist. l know you're both, but do you expand your creativity beyond automobilia? Your knack for 3-D fabrication is impressive beyond this hobby. Just wondering. Keep it up, Please. Bart.

Hey lra,

Been enjoying your builds for a while. Are you a car guy or an artist. l know you're both, but do you expand your creativity beyond automobilia? Your knack for 3-D fabrication is impressive beyond this hobby. Just wondering. Keep it up, Please. Bart.

Thanks Bart!

I'm a Car Guy, Maybe Sometimes Flying Cars... :)

Great Ira you've got the skills to do any kind of creation :) I'm enjoying the Cordvette and now I'm gonna have to stick around for another one of your proyects... It sounds good

Thanks Wilbert!

UPDATING MR GASSER to 2012!!!

I'm going to need a few New Parts to update this 50 year old Model Design and make it more like the Roth Artwork.

Polar Lites SnapDraggins have been just released with new Parts & Decals. I was going to use this kit for New Gasser Parts untill I found the Monogram Super Fuzz Kit!

DSCN6072G.jpg

TIRES & WHEELS!!!

The stock Mr Gasser Tires are small, narrow & round, nothing like the Box Art. Both the Super Fuzz & the Snap Draggins Kits have "Oval" Shaped Tires like the Roth art!

The Tires on Left are Stock, the Tires on the Right are...the Super Fuzz Tires!

DSCN6036G.jpg

The Super Fuzz Tires are One-Sided. Lucky I had an extra set of Super Fuzz Front Tires! I glued the 4 Front Tires together as shown, to make two 2-Sided Tires.

Now that's more like it!

DSCN6047G.jpg

Edited by Ira

TIRES & WHEELS...GOIN' OVAL!!!!

I cut a 2 pieces of sheet plastic to cover the backs of the Slicks. I Drilled a hole in the Center of each to mount tubing for the axle.

DSCN6044G.jpg

I cut pieces of tubing to slide the metal axles into. I glued 1 into each wheel as shown.

DSCN6051G.jpg

Next I cut larger diameter tubing to Beef-Up the small tubing for the metal axles and glued them over the small ones.

DSCN6075G.jpg

A little Sanding & Paint & the Wheels & tires are ready!

B)

UPDATING THE ENGINE!!!

The Stock Mr Gasser Engine Really needs to be Replaced!

I used the 20th scale Engine from MPC's Popcorn Wagon and cut off the transmission and bottom.

DSCN6080G.jpg

I cut the Supercharger from the Super Fuzz Engine, Perfect fit!!!

Time for a quick Mock-Up!

DSCN6091G.jpg

B)

CLOUDS of SMOKE!!!

The Smokey Base is from the Monogram "Super Fuzz" Kit. I needed to reduce the width by about 7/8", so I cut out a slice with a Dremel Tool & a Cut-Off Wheel. I hope they reissue this kit again, lot of nice parts here...

DSCN6100G.jpg

It is easy to cover the seam with a little putty...

DSCN6102G.jpg

The Tires fit into the base, Perfectly, just right for a Mock-Up!

DSCN6123G.jpg

B)