Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking For A Source to Chrome Plate a Grill

I have a project underway that includes reconfiguring a grill. This is a '54 Chevy grill with the teeth removed. When the plastic work is done it will need to be plated again. Can someone direct me to a source(s) I can contact for this work? Or maybe someone has a better suggestion. Thanks.

I just sent off a front/rear bumper and twelve wheels off to LittleMotorKarCo,so I'll soon see first hand what kind of work he does. His prices are very reasonable: $3 each for stripped bumpers and $1.25 each for a stripped wheel. They have a $15 minimum for each order. I have a feeling that I will be having him do a LOT of chrome work in the future. Turn around is also pretty quick. He told me two weeks,maybe sooner. For me,this seems to be the only way to go if you want your parts to look like real chrome again and well worth the money.

Alclad and the various other "chrome" paints are ok... they'll give you a "chrome-like" look (actually more like polished aluminum)... but if what you want is that "chrome-plated" look, you're going to want to use a plating service like Chrome Tech. They vacuum plate the pieces the same way that kit chrome pieces are plated. A chrome paint will get you close to that look, but will never have the look that a vacuum-plated part has.

Do you have to mount the items, Roger, or just send them? I couldn't find a website for Little Motor Kar.

No Jim. He told me to just send the parts in a box and he would take care of the rest. He doesn't have a website that I'm aware of. I have his address and phone number if you would like to contact him.

As soon as I them back,I'll post photos of them. This is the first time I've sent parts out to be chromed. If it goes well,I'll be sending out a bunch of stuff next round.

From someone that has had 10 racks of parts plated and is currently prepping another large batch of parts to send off to Little Motor Kar, the results are directly related to the amount of prep work and careful mounting of the parts. When removing mold seams and imperfections, your parts must be perfectly polished out or any scratches and flaws will show in the plating. It's just like body work under paint. I've had a few parts that I have had to re-do because I didn't get the parts fully polished or there were flaws from improper mounting.

Regardless of where you send your parts, follow the instructions on Chrome Tech's website.

I can now personally vouch for LittleMotorKarCo! Dale is the best!! I sent my parts out on the nineteenth and received them back today and they are beautiful! Way better than kit chrome. Right now, I don't have time to take photos of them,but as soon as I get time, I WILL post them.