Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Olds 442 W30

Harold

Just finished this one. Its the MPC Olds W30, and this has a story to it. It started last year as the Hurst Olds. I had the chassis done and the body almost when the fire hit. Although it was downstairs on my bench, it got damaged. Afew months ago, a friend sold me a sealed W30 for eight bucks. I had the chassis done, so between other projects I did this. The body is a Plasti- Kote color called Cordovan Metallic. Its a bit transluscent, so I shot it over a silver base. I like the way it turned out (mostly). The body trim is a bit soft, so I had a bear of a time with the foil on the upper body moldings.

mjllIMG_7065aa.jpg

IMG_7071a.jpg

IMG_7087a.jpg

IMG_7085a.jpg

So I wound up with the Hurst exhaust (I like the Cherry Bombs). The wheels are from the Model King '71 Thunderbird and the tires are from the kit, only because I'm out of those nice AMT Eagles. This was an OK kit with a few gripes. The location of some pieces is best described as 'vague', and the shell interior falls flat on what is otherwise a relatively nice kit.

Ok... how can I ask this without sounding like I'm slamming Harold's model.... :huh:

Obviously Harold put in a lot of effort on this model. His attention to detail, the chassis detail, etc. etc. This model is not a slapped-together gluebomb, it's a very nicely done model. Jeez, even the side marker lights have been detailed. Just want to be clear about that.

So why do so many people (not just Harold, but a lot of you) sweat the details, yet you leave off the mirrors, both inside and out? To me, a model of a street car (or especially a factory-stock) that's missing all the mirrors jumps out at me immediately. I mean, leaving off the mirrors is like skipping the headlight lenses or the steering wheel.

So what's up with that? :blink:

l tend to agree, Harry. But then again, maybe we're just sweating the mirrors?

I see it done so often, I just had to ask. I mean, I really don't get it. Mirrors are such an obvious feature (more so when they're obviously missing!).. why do so many guys leave them off? It can't be laziness or lack of attention to detail, because in every other way these models are so well done.

Again, this isn't meant as a "complaint" about Harold's model.

I rekon that's why I don't drive any more. Never look'd or care'd what was behind me LOL!!! I just don't like them on model's .. But I really do respect the fact of detail

in this hobby ..This is a very sweet & detail'dbuild HAROLD. Nice job ,thanx.....

MichaelJ.