Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions on gin pole trucks

Hello everyone. A gin pole truck model is one of my planned projects. But I need to increase my knowledge about this application. I am talking about a big rig, not a pick-up truck. I´d like to build one out of the Snap Pete chassis by Revell. What changes do I have to make? Get rid off the sleeper, extend the frame for longer wheel base (any suggestions on WB?), change the suspension (for what kind... Hendrickson?), engine... is the 3406 included in the okay?

For the gin poles and the deck... there is a metal mesh around the winch area instead of plates... why?

Do the poles have extensions? If so, where are they stored in transport position?

The trucks have usually two winches. Which one is for load and which one is for raising the poles? How does the raising (and lowering for that matter) actually work? What prevents the gin poles from falling hard on the deck? A picture is worth a thousand words.

The hydraulic pole raisers are out of question, I guess, for the 359 era. Correct me if I´m wrong, please.

Now, true or false?

The gin pole hinges must be located aft the rear axle but possibly within the spring length.

The gin pole hinges must be located under the deck floor.

The gin pole hinges must be located slightly in front of the tail block.

There might be more systems, more ways to use the gin poles, maybe depending on the area of operation. Please, share your knowledge, experinces and pictures with me. If anyone has a question on gin pole trucks, please feel free to use this thread. The more info collects here, the better.

Thanks everyone who is willing to help me to get to know the gin pole trucks better.