Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wild Willie Funny Car

You're right Bill, it's exciting seeing it come together and knowing that the next project can be better based on what I've learned.

Thanks John, but actually it's 1/4 scale and then shrunk in the microwave. HA.

Ted before I put those wires on I double-checked my photos to make sure. Those tiny RB Motion nuts are very easy to lose.

Thanks guys for the encouragement.

One side panel is on, fuel pump cables, fuel pumps, and shifter. More fuel lines need to be added. DSCF0037_zpsc6a89d86.jpg

Hopefully I will have the other header done tonight and both glued on. The rear wheels are on temporarily for the photos. Thanks for looking.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your comments. I used a couple of photoetch linkage pieces for cable stops on the fuel pumps. Just made a 90 degree bend on them. I hope to get the headers on tonight. Then the remaining fuel lines, etc. I want to add the vent pipe that comes off the bell housing, but I need to mock up the wheelie bars to make sure two things are not trying to occupy the same space.

Who can tell me about the electronics box attached to the header sensors? Does it attach to the frame? I appreciate any help.

• 3 weeks later...

Dave - looking really nice. Love the intricate fuel pump and lug nuts. Love the 5-point harness, too.

I don't see it on your car, but the same circa FC kit I'm working on has an electronics box just behind the fuel cell. I've got everything wired to it. I would guess a real small junction box box could be added to the frame. I've attached a photo here. Not all of the wires are running to it yet.

dsc0028rqt.jpg

Ted- I don't have mine on yet because I have more return fuel lines to run to a junction and then to the fuel tank. DSCF0056_zps38a89611.jpg

This is what the inside of the box looks like on the Sentry Olds funny car, but a bank of solenoids is missing, according to Bruce. Yours looks excellent !! I want to see more pics of yours.

Chris - thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it. I guess the invite to come via biplane to NNL East you're taking a raincheck on, right?

John - I wish it was about to be wrapped up. More fuel lines, the box Ted mentioned, hoses from the valve covers to the frame, finish the wheelie bars, underbody supports, more decals, etc. Thanks for checking in and I'm waiting for your next project. We just had a bad electrical storm with hail and the computer decided to reboot itself.

Ted- I was looking at my "intricate fuel pumps" and thought it looked like something Dr. Suess had dreamed up, but it roughly replicates what is on the Sentry Olds FC. I am also in the process of redoing the tinwork that goes over the blower.

Edited by GoatGuy

Thanks Mr. Laski and Mr. Davis. I appreciate it. I hope to get more done next week. I'm working both days this weekend. Like other employers, mine has cut personnel and distributed the workload around to the rest of us. Just got an order from Charlie at Pro Tech and that's always encouragement to do more. Looking forward to seeing more from both of you.

dave, looking really good. the fuel pumps look spot on. as far as the black box in your picture goes. it looks ike the fuel control system is there what's missing is the clutch system. i went back a little ways , if no one has answered your question on the "box" on the egt sensors. no, it doesn't attach to anything. it just hangs there.

keep up the EXCELLENT work.

Thanks Ron, I appreciate it. This has been a real learning experience.

Thanks Dave. I always appreciate your input. You know your way around these cars much better than I do. Can't wait to see more of your salt flats car.

• 4 months later...

Time to dust off this car and get something done.

The other day I got a shipment from Futurattraction which included the Wheelie Bar Housing kit and the Dragster Cockpit Controls. I am replacing the kit steering wheel with Scott's great looking piece that has separate grips which really give it the needed 3D look. But don't make the mistake I did. I made the necessary bends in the butterfly wheel and then glued on the grips. After handling it a few times to glue them on, one handle broke off from accidentally bending it back and forth a few times. The set (part # O-DCC-2) includes parts for two steering wheels and next time I will glue the grips on first, make the bends and then attach it to the steering column. The set also includes 2 brake handles with grips, 2 gas pedals, 4 smaller levers, and 4 larger levers.

The wheelie bar kit looks really nice. I haven't attempted to put it together yet but I did measure some of the parts. Two straight pins are included that are .020" diameter, two brackets to be bent into shape with holes drilled, spoked wheels, and two pieces of telescoping tubing. The smaller is .032" diameter and the larger is .042" diameter (part #C-WBK-M1). I'm not sure that the spoked wheels included are correct for my '89 funny car so I will make 2 wheels out of black plastic sprue. Hopefully I will have pics to share early next week. Tomorrow I'm going to Maple Grove to see the pros make a couple qualifying attempts. Can't wait. I plan to take lots of reference pics and enjoy the fumes. HA.