Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 Model Kemps Contest

dimebolt

July 27th at Oakdale Park in Salina,KS is the 7th annual contest. Last years judges were Jerry Titus, George Barris, Darryl Starbird, Fritz Shenck, John Di'Agostino, Jack Walker, Dennis Gage, and Gene Winfield. It doesn't get much better than that as far as a judging panel.

Corey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Snipped from the Kustom Kemps website:

"Modeler's will be vying for the coveted Elden Titus Concept Design Award, & the ultimate goal, the "777 Custom Crown "Model" Champion" to recognize the "Top Model car or truck in America." $500.00 will be given in awards, and decisions to determine the winners will be done in part by the K.C. Salmmers, Jerry & Tammy Titus (Elden' wife), the KKOA Hall of Famer's at the show (Barris, Starbird, D’Agostino, Winfield, Hines, etc.) So, take your time and look closely at the design and detail of these fantastic models. You'll be amazed. The KKOA would like to salute Model Cars Magazine, and Kool Rides Rod & Custom Accessories for their support. And, the greatest model car club in America for hosting this amazing Spectacular of small scale wonderment! The fantastic K.C. SLAMMERS. Saaaalute."

To me, this is one of the best kept secrets in the modeling community. Judging by some of the most famous names in customizing, $500.00 in cash prizes, 1,500 full size old-skook rods and customs, Bill Hines chopping a top in front of your eyes, live old time rock-n-roll music, old time drag races, a pin-up beauty contest. JalopyJournal.com is organizing a bunch of Mercs for the show

This will be my third, but not last trip to Salina. I didn't go last year and missed out on meeting Dennis Gage from "My Classic Car". The year before Linda Vahn and Paul LaMat (Milner in American Graphiti) were there, along with Barris, Winfield, and numerous other famous names in customizing. George is always around :)

If you're anywheres in the Midwest and looking for something to do this weekend, this should give some great inspiration for that next Deuce roadster or 50 Chevy leadsled.

more info here: http://kustomkempsof...m/editorial.htm

Edited by Alyn

We had a great time at the KKOA LeadSled Spectacular in Sallina, Kansas. I heard there were over 2,000 rods and customs at the event. I did tons of walking around the Oakdale Park venue and can guarantee that I didn't see them all. Elden Titus was the "Big Dog" at this show until he passed away a few years ago. At that time, he left his latest creation, The Vibrasonic 1/2 done. It's been completed over the last couple of years by some of his peers, and was at the show this year.

KKOA_2012_Vibrasonic.jpg?psid=1

Hot Rods, Hot Rods everywhere

KKOA_2012_street_view1.jpg?psid=1

KKOA_2012_street_view2.jpg?psid=1

Pretty cool to watch a car get sectioned right before your eyes

KKOA_2012_live_bodywork.jpg?psid=1

One of a zillion exmples of old school hot rod eye candy on display

KKOA_2012_Black_Hemi_deuce.jpg?psid=1

Hope to see more of you there next year.

Car count for the model contest was up this year. The Titus family and the Kustom Kemps of America are to be commended for their continuing commitment to include the model contest at this event.

Congratulations to Andy Lesiak (Zaina on MCM) for taking the top 777 Award (and $$$) with his beautiful black 49 Merc. My photo doesn't do this mile deep, glassy smooth paint job justice.

KKOA_2012_49_Merc.jpg?psid=1

Steve Barns was a big winner as well, taking four awards including the Elden Titus design award and picks by Mike Alexander (yes, of the Alexander Brothers) among others. Here's his Little Deuce Coupe.

KKOA_2012_Little_Deuce_Coupe.jpg?psid=1

George Barris seems to like the "theme" style builds. Here's his pick based on a Piper airplane (sorry, I don't catch the builders name) About 1/2 dozen very well known custom car legends picked their favorite. The plaques for these awards are autographed as well. Way cool!

KKOA_2012_George_Barris_pick.jpg?psid=1

Rod Cook's winner for best interior (Duh, should have picked a better angle)

KKOA_2012_best_interior.jpg?psid=1

Danny Downs didn't receive any awards at this show, but his totally scratch built 1:48 scale models are works of art.

All of these are completely hand made in brass with many parts hammered over miniature steel bucks. The bucks probably take more time to make than most of us spend on an entire model.

KKOA_2012_Danny_Downs.jpg?psid=1

Once I get my pics to our KC Slammers club webmaster, he can upload them to Fotki. I'll get the link posted once that happens.

Hope to see some more of you in Salina next year. It's well worth the trip.

Edited by Alyn

Would have loved to make it, but got stuck working this weekend. Oh well maybe next year. Congrats Zaina, that's awesome buddy. That's 2 in a row for shows in Salina this year, the hard work is paying off. Maybe next year I'll get to make it. The funny thing is I just moved back here from Salina on April, 1st. I've lived in Salina since 2007, and never knew anything about the model car shows there until after I moved. What a bummer. Maybe next year.

Corey

Alyn,

LOL. You must be from eastern Kansas. I'm smack dab in the middle of the state, and from here on west it's pretty flat. Northern half of state is kinda hilly,but the "mountains" are to the east.

Corey

Where are you, Corey?

Alyn,

LOL. You must be from eastern Kansas. I'm smack dab in the middle of the state, and from here on west it's pretty flat. Northern half of state is kinda hilly,but the "mountains" are to the east.

Corey

You're right, Corey. I live in Shawnee which is in the greater Kansas City metro area.

Years ago, on a Jeep trip to Moab, Utah, I took a detour to find Mt Sunflower. At 4,039 feet, this is the highest point in the state of Kansas. If's just under a half mile from the Colorado boarder, and very close to the lowest point in the state of Colorado. Here's a picture of the peak (older low-res digital camera).

Mnt_Sunflower.jpg?psid=1

By definition, Mt Sunflower doesn't actually qualify as a "mountain", but apparently someone had a sense of humor. It is kind of a cool place to be, though. Under the wide Kansas sky, you are humbled by your insignificance in the universe.

Where are you, Corey?

I live in a small town called Hoisington. 10 miles north of Great Bend. The actual mountains are to the west of me, (the Rockies); I dont

really consider the Ozarks mountains, just foothills. But the "mountains" in Kansas are really just the Flinthills. LOL. Beautiful rolling hills though. They are probably the prettiest thing about Kansas.

Corey

I live in a small town called Hoisington. 10 miles north of Great Bend. The actual mountains are to the west of me, (the Rockies); I dont

really consider the Ozarks mountains, just foothills. But the "mountains" in Kansas are really just the Flinthills. LOL. Beautiful rolling hills though. They are probably the prettiest thing about Kansas.

Corey

That's why I asked! There's not much more 'smack dab in the middle of the state' than Hoisington! Most people have never even heard of Hoisington.

I lived in Hoisington from age 1 to age 10 ... long time ago, though. Been back a couple of times over the years to just drive through and see the old home town. Lived at 1st Street and Green Street, across from the lumber yard and funeral home. Sold lemonade and fireworks on the sidewalk. Hung out at Rexall and Manweiler Chevrolet. Loved the annual Labor Day celebration: parade, carnival, the whole thing. My mom was a commercial artist and painted all the store windows with promos for the various events during the year, including Labor Day, Christmas, etc. And, she painted the advertising billboards at the ball park. Best fun was root beers at Chet's A&W, exploring the swampy areas along the Missouri-Pacific tracks, and weekends at Lake Barton.

You?