Model Cars Magazine Forum

First completions in about a year!

2002p51

Not long after I retired last summer I realized I finally had the time to make some real progress on a model railroad. (Yes, I've always been a closet model railroader.) Consequently, model cars got pushed aside as I spent most of my days (and not a small amount of money) on finally building a real layout. Well, the railroad progressed to the point where I can now slow down a little on it and I've finally got the bug to build a car or two again. And it was these two kits that re-lit the spark:

model01-vi.jpg

model02-vi.jpg

model03-vi.jpg

model04-vi.jpg

I'm sure I don't need to mention which kits they are as they have both been well discussed all over this forum.

Both are built pretty much straight out of the box, and both are done in a sort of curbside style. After nearly 50 years in this hobby I've finally reached the point where I have little interest in building fully detailed models anymore. My models, once completed, sit on a shelf and never get very close scrutiny by anyone, ever. So I just don't feel like spending much time on that which will never be seen. So, while both of these models do have their engines, they are not detailed. The chassis have just enough parts installed to hold up the wheels and then everything is shot flat black. Nobody will ever see under there.

The railroad is still getting some attention but I'm trying to at least give some time over to the "main" hobby once again.

As always I welcome and encourage comments, both good and bad.

Forget the trains! These two are awesome! I want to build them both my self but, as you well no It doesn't take long to get quite a few W.I.P.s. Your railroad skills will come in handy here, especially if you do weathering. Hope to see more of your work soon and welcome. :)

One minor little gripe about the Hudson... you failed to foil the weatherstrip trim on the windsheild and back glass. Other than that, great job on both of them. Love how they routed the exhaust on the Chrysler stock cars! Wonder if the guy running hot behind him ever tried bump-drafting him until those pipes got pinched closed. :D

Both are extremely nice "shelf" models, Drew. If you didn't tell us, I would have never guessed! They are GORGEOUS! Glad to see you back at the bench. You are one of the reasons I build Nascar models. Thanks for sharing with us over the years!

One minor little gripe about the Hudson... you failed to foil the weatherstrip trim on the windsheild and back glass.

Yea, I noticed the ridge on the glass, but shouldn't that be black not foil? I think that's the rubber seal. Anyway, I doubt it would've made much impact on the final result.

Yea, I noticed the ridge on the glass, but shouldn't that be black not foil? I think that's the rubber seal. Anyway, I doubt it would've made much impact on the final result.

That trim goes over the rubber seal- some of the rubber is visible, but it's mostly covered by the brightwork.

1953_hudson_3-vi.jpg

This one lacks the greenhouse trim, but the same window trim was used. The backlight is the same way. This picture shows what the lips molded to the glass parts represent.

52hudsonpace-vi.jpg