Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's visit North Carolina...

I've noticed there are a few members here from the Tar Heel state. I thought it would be cool if myself and some of my neighbors could share a few interesting facts about the towns in which we live.

The town I live in is called Elizabethtown. It is the birthplace of Curtis L. Brown Jr., the astronaut. He graduated from East Bladen High, earned a degree in engineering, and made it to Colonel in the Air Force before NASA snatched him up and sent him on six missions.

So let's share a little something with our fellow members about our beloved, humble state....

I live in Charlotte, moved here 7 years ago from the northern burbs of Chicago, which is where I was born and raised. I have enjoyed living here, wouldn't move back North if you paid me, and like the pace of life here. Only thing I would change is to have some of the neat hobby shops that seemed so plentiful back in the Chicago/Milwaukee area.

Still learning about some of the history that surrounds Charlotte so I can't say I know much about the area to comment.

That's very interesting! We could also share things of historical significance, such as the battle that happened here (and all over the state, I'm sure) between the Tories and the Whigs... we have a park named Tory Hole Park to honor their victory...

Edited by JollySipper

Only thing I would change is to have some of the neat hobby shops that seemed so plentiful back in the Chicago/Milwaukee area.

I'm originally from NC and live in the far Suburban Chicago Area now. I've been here about 7 years so far and there were several small, locally owned Hobby Shops here when I first arrived. Many of them are gone now, a casualty of the economy, big-box stores, and eBay, I guess. Don't know about Milwaukee, but I figure I can find as much in NC as I can here - and at a better price.

Johnny,

You need to get to Milwaukee and visit The Model Empire. They have that old time hobby shop feel and a selection that I have yet to see elsewhere.

I will be headed to Southern Wisconsin in 2 weeks to visit family and stopping at The Model Empire is near the top of the list.

Steve,

Next time I am up near West Jeff I will have to seek out the Hobby Barn, sounds like a great place.

My problem (if you want to call it that) is most of the hobby shops have moved into the RC business, can't say that I blame them, but it has left us plastic modelers buying off the internet.

I moved from New England to Winston Salem, NC just this last October. The pace of living works well for me and it has its historical landmarks. Well known for industry back in the day with textiles and Tobacco (RJ Reynolds is still located here) Olde Salem is a cool place to visit as well. The downtown area is modest but there's a fair amount to do. Being located just 2 hours from Charlotte and only 30 mins from Greensboro it is convienient as these are the closest airports. Tough being 4 hours from the Beach however because i grew up with Summer in Cape Cod. As a hobbyist, I have recently found a hobby store just fifteen mins away in a town called King, NC. They have a TON of models and supplies to keep me going, they have every new kit that comes in as well. None in Winston, that I know of, other than Michaels. Also, I believe there is a model club in Kernersville NC which is very close. Anybody know about this? I would love to find out more and come to a weekly meeting to check it out

Edited by CaptainAhab

I grew up in Indian Trail NC.Was a small town south of Charlotte. I hear now that you can't tell where Charlotte stops and Matthews and Indian Trail start.Was just 5 mins north of Monroe.We moved to Virginia when I was 15.I've been to the old neighborhood one time since,but have travelled through Charlotte many times over the years.East Independance Boulivard was only two lanes each direction when we left,I hear now it has six each way. Might be a good road trip one day.bigtim.

I grew up in Indian Trail NC.Was a small town south of Charlotte. I hear now that you can't tell where Charlotte stops and Matthews and Indian Trail start.Was just 5 mins north of Monroe.We moved to Virginia when I was 15.I've been to the old neighborhood one time since,but have travelled through Charlotte many times over the years.East Independance Boulivard was only two lanes each direction when we left,I hear now it has six each way. Might be a good road trip one day.bigtim.

Tim, you wouldn't recognize the area these days, which is probably sad but they do call it progress!

Greg,

Columbia is not necessarily Hurricane Alley, it is more like Phoenix with humidity! :D I was there last Friday and it was 109 plus a good dose of humidity, a wet heat if you will!

Yes, we do get our share of hurricane related weather but it has been awhile since we took a direct hit.

Also, I believe there is a model club in Kernersville NC which is very close. Anybody know about this? I would love to find out more and come to a weekly meeting to check it out

joe,

i live in greensboro.i am a member of the CKM club.our meetings are the 1st and 3rd tuesdays of each month.the adress is here in this link:

http://carolinakusto...m/about_us.html

scott

Edited by racer X

Guest Johnny

I have a cousin there since 1998! She is going to be a lifetime resident wether she wants it or not! :(

I love that part of the country, but the wife would never agree to moving there!

FT Bragg, NC...home of Special Operation Forces and the Airborne....All the way..nothing more to say :)

Raeford is a nice place though..away from all the hustle and bustle of Fayetnam. VR Earle

Don't forget Camp Swampy down in Jacksonville........First to Fight! ooorah!