Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Chevelle.

my name is nobody

Hello,

New to your site. But not new to the hobby.

thought I would throw this one out there and see what all of you fine modelers think of it.

Started with a AMT '69 SS396 Chevelle. and to be honest, it's a poor kit, at best.

But, with some patience, and FredCady Decals, I managed to make this:

1969 Yenko 427 Chevelle

100_0198.jpg

100_0204.jpg

100_0207.jpg

100_0205.jpg

Thanks,

Chuck.

Welcome to the forum... I think you will like it here. Your car looks pretty good with the Yenko decals on there, and I have to agree with you about the kit not being so good. I built one of these quite a few years ago and remember having problems with it. I have another one in the basement that I have been contemplating on for several years now... :P Looking forward to seeing more of your builds.

STEVE

Very nice build.

For future '68 - '72 Chevelle builds, use the AMT '69 442 chassis (drops in) and firewall, inner fender wells and radiator support.

These are all the accurate parts found in the real cars.

Great tip! The AMT '69 Chevelle kit is a real turd, so I'm impressed every time someone shows a nice build like your's and Chuck's. I started building one a couple of years ago, and the plan was to build a replica of my 1:1 '69 Chevelle. I finally gave up, slapped it together and gave it to my son to play with. After being abused by him for a while, it finally ended up as a BB gun target. :rolleyes:

Nicely done! You have a very crisp building style, and it paid off on this and the last project you posted.

The 69 Olds chassis is a brilliant solution to a skunky kit chassis. Makes you wonder why we figured it out but not the guys who kit the parts! :)

Can you elaborate a bit on the negatives of the kit? Besides the chassis that is. I'm looking at your build up, and now seriously considering picking up a couple of these (along with a couple more 69 Olds kits to donate their chassis) next time I'm out foraging for kits. I see them all over and never bothered to pick one up, although I love this year Chevelle.

Can you elaborate a bit on the negatives of the kit? Besides the chassis that is.

It's a pretty old kit, so the chassis is the typical "blob with metal axles". The interior is in the same category, i.e. a somewhat shallow 1-pc tub with (if I remember correctly) the seats molded in. The body is accurate as far as the body lines go, but seems to be developed from a '68, as the side marker lights are located higher up than on a '69. The trim is faint and uneven in places, and some of it will probably need to be sanded off and replaced to look right. Can't remember if the emblems are correct, but I believe there is a photoetch kit to remedy whatever is wrong with it. The headlights and taillights are chromed without separate lenses, and the taillights are very clumsily made and need a lot of work to fit and look right. I would say that the best way to fix them would be to strip the crome, glue them to the body, fill, sand, re-shape as necessary and apply BMF. The vents on the top of the cowl are missing, but should be easy to replicate by opening up holes (for some strange reason, Chevelles did not have the plastic grids over these). The wheels look fairly correct, but had a lot of flash and other production related flaws. The American Racing wheels Chuck used look great on a '69, that's what I would use but I'm not sure if they were included in the kit.

I guess I gave up too easily as I was severely disappointed after comparing it to my 1:1 Chevelle, but you can definitely build a good looking model if you're willing to spend a lot of time fixing the body, changing the chassis and kitbashing the engine and other details.

• 1 month later...