Model Cars Magazine Forum

"American" cars?

Since today is the 4th of July, here's an interesting fact: According to Cars.com, 4 of the 5 "most American" cars... those cars with the most American-made content in them... are Japanese!

The top 5 "Most American" cars:

1. Toyota Camry

2. Ford F-150

3. Honda Accord

4. Toyota Sienna

5. Honda Pilot

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/07/04/carscom-says-most-american-car-is-toyota/?intcmp=features

Guest G Holding

FOX.....

You have ONE AMERICAN vehicle listed....When the $$$ stay here Then I will buy that...until then I will drive my Ford.

You got THAT right Greg!!! Just caz they're MADE HERE, DOESN'T make them anymore american than the man on the moon. My Cadillac is REAL AMERICAN, NOT japanese economy supporting junk. :angry:

Edited by Harry P.
Derogatory term

I have to agree. Content aside, the money goes to the parent corporation. How much american content is there in a John Deere tractor or a Westinghouse refrigerator? The sad fact is not much is still manufactured in this country. We are quickly becoming a service economy that cannot compete with cheap exploited labor in Mexico, China, et al.

Plus... the "Most American" rankings take into account not only domestic content, but where the car is built, and how many are sold here in the US... in other words, how many Americans (employees and consumers) are involved with each car (or in the case of the F-150, truck).

I just found it very ironic that 4 of the top 5 "most American" cars are actually Japanese cars! Apparently, those 4 of the top 5 have more domestic content and/or are built in the USA more than many "American" cars that actually have more foreign content in them and/or are actually built outside of the US!

So which one helps the American economy more... a "Japanese" Camry that contains mostly domestically manufactured content and is built by Americans in the US... or an "American" car loaded with outsourced components and built in Mexico?

Kind of a tricky question. Makes you think about what it means these days to "buy American." :blink:

Back in the 80's, Honda perfected the automobile. Their cars were reliable and built like a swiss watch. Their formula has never changed. While Honda perfected their method, Detroit churned out cars, with no regard to styling, reliability, and fit and finish. It finally caught up with them. And Honda also realized that they could sell more cars if they built their best seller in the country where it sells the most.

In the 80s Honda built with pride while Detroit focused on the almighty dollar.

intresting,I beleive that it doesnt matter where the company originated as long as jobs are in your country.I live near oshawa a big GM town,we just lost a couple thousand jobs,again.The cars that are built in oshawa now are realy" world "cars,the platform is aussy holden.I tried linking wickapedia to ontario built cars but it wouldn't do it for me.Even a VW is built in windsor.I go on the nascar forum often and lots there would have a fit if this was posted there,they hate toyota with a passion

Plus... the "Most American" rankings take into account not only domestic content, but where the car is built, and how many are sold here in the US... in other words, how many Americans (employees and consumers) are involved with each car (or in the case of the F-150, truck).

I just found it very ironic that 4 of the top 5 "most American" cars are actually Japanese cars! Apparently, those 4 of the top 5 have more domestic content and/or are built in the USA more than many "American" cars that actually have more foreign content in them and/or are actually built outside of the US!

So which one helps the American economy more... a "Japanese" Camry that contains mostly domestically manufactured content and is built by Americans in the US... or an "American" car loaded with outsourced components and built in Mexico?

Kind of a tricky question. Makes you think about what it means these days to "buy American." :blink:

It's not to tricky Harry, you buy something built by an American, your supporting him and his family. You buy something built out side of America, your supporting some corporate account, because they almost certainly are not supporting the people who built it. Apple anyone ???

Right, I get that.

My point is that many people think that when they buy an "American" car they are supporting the good old US of A and not those stinkin' foreign commies... :rolleyes: but in reality, when you buy a Toyota Camry, you're actually supporting the American economy a lot more than if you buy what you assume is an "American" car that actually is built of mostly foreign components and was assembled outside of the country! That's what I mean by a "tricky question"... people who blindly say they "buy American" without really knowing what it is they bought!

Guest Johnny

It's not to tricky Harry, you buy something built by an American, your supporting him and his family. You buy something built out side of America, your supporting some corporate account, because they almost certainly are not supporting the people who built it. Apple anyone ???

It just is not that cut and dried. Nope nope nope.

Right, I get that.

My point is that many people think that when they buy an "American" car they are supporting the good old US of A and not those stinkin' foreign commies... :rolleyes: but in reality, when you buy a Toyota Camry, you're actually supporting the American economy a lot more than if you buy what you assume is an "American" car that actually is built of mostly foreign components and was assembled outside of the country! That's what I mean by a "tricky question"... people who blindly say they "buy American" without really knowing what it is they bought!

And I get that, it's funny how many people can't name an American company, let alone an American product.

I know it's not that cut and dry, but it's not going to get much deeper without a lot of politics.

But isn't the vast diversity that make America, America ?

I wanted to do some custom etched mugs for the people at work last Xmas, went to Wally world, 10 bucks for a set of 4 mugs from china. I went to the dollar store, bigger, heavier mug for a buck each. Got them home and ran them in the dish washer to clean them and noticed the sticker on the bottom says "made in the USA" .... Go figure.

Supposedly the Camry now has 92% US parts content, although I'll have to call bs in the most America over the last 5 years, at least for last year.

http://wot.motortrend.com/top-cars-north-american-parts-content-67627.html

I'm guessing that tsunami probably hurt Toyota and Honda enough they decided to make more parts here. I'm kind of curious if these lists are just the United States or North America , including Canada and Mexico, as a whole.

Edited by Joe Handley

I just recently bought a 2012 Honda Accord, the only part made in Japan is the transmission. The rest of it was made here, and the car was assembled in Marysville Ohio. My 15yr old Crown Vic met an unfortunate demise, so I had to buy a car. I feel pretty good knowing that a bunch of Americans were employed building it.

I find the notion that buying a Mexican-built car with an American label would have kept the money in the US facinating. When you buy a Camry, doesn't the money go to American workers and their family? Don't they spend their money in the US, contributing to the economy?

If supporting the US ecomony is of utmost importance, why would you want to reward the corporate suits who "maximized return to the shareholders" by killing local jobs and shipping them to Mexico? Why not support the products that actually kept Americans employed?

Guest Johnny

Supposedly the Camry now has 92% US parts content, although I'll have to call bs in the most America over the last 5 years, at least for last year.

http://wot.motortren...tent-67627.html

I'm guessing that tsunami probably hurt Toyota and Honda enough they decided to make more parts here. I'm kind of curious if these lists are just the United States or North America , including Canada and Mexico, as a whole.

They are more than a little deceptive in distinguishing "made" and "assembled" in America when it comes to parts. So you have to take it all with a grain of salt.

And I get that, it's funny how many people can't name an American company, let alone an American product.

I know it's not that cut and dry, but it's not going to get much deeper without a lot of politics.

But isn't the vast diversity that make America, America ?

Not even the same subject matter.

But you are right as it would end up deep into a political discussion. :lol: