Model Cars Magazine Forum

Car Wars

Remember too, almost all the cars had electric power plants with motors in the wheel hubs. Having an internal combustion was a rare exception in the game.

David G.

totally forgot about that!!!! they even had an add on called Dueltrack(i believe) that used only combustion engines...thanks for reminding me of this

Even though I'm a novice to this sort of thing, might I make a suggestion: Would it be possible to overlook the "Electric Vehicle" aspect of the literal "Car Wars" theme for the sake of this CBP?

I second Jim's motion. Overlook the electric motors, and I'm in. I like shiny post-apoc vehicles.

One "supplement" claimed that in Australia cars were all still petrol driven due to the distances involved, or some such. I forget if it was an official publication, or something in their ADQ mag. Whatever the case, my mate and I always assumed internal combustion in what we did.

Even though I'm a novice to this sort of thing, might I make a suggestion: Would it be possible to overlook the "Electric Vehicle" aspect of the literal "Car Wars" theme for the sake of this CBP?

There were internal combustion engine cars in the game, they were just very rare, so you could certainly build that way in you wanted to. But, I see building an electric car as described in the game as one of the unique challenges that would set this CBP apart from the other post-apoc builds.

If I find the time to jump in on this one, I plan to build an electric car as described in the game.

David G.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with Car Wars. I went to the website you gave us and couldn't find any pics of the type of cars used. How do they differ from the ones in the good Doctor's CBP?

There are some differences between Dr C's Zombie Killers and Car Wars. In Car Wars, the major auto manufacturers produce and sell cars outfitted with weapons, armor, targeting computers, fire supression systems, etc. So instead of the "built out of spare parts" look, the Car Wars builds could be fully armed and armored and still have that "fresh off the line" look.

Now all you SHINY-heads can build cars with guns! Why should the rest of us have all the fun?

There was also a Car Wars game supliment (or add-on in current terms) called Chassis and Crossbow set at an earlier point in Car Wars "history" in which lower tech weapons would have been fitted to older cars. Like a vehicular crossbow that uses automotive springs to fire bolts made from driveshafts with the intention of pinning vehicles to the ground- and possibly injuring the occupants.

So, there's something for the Cranky-heads too!

I don't like to limit myself, so I'll probably build one of each. I've already started on my SHINY one based on 1985(?) Monte Carlo SS. I've already got the base for the power plant and I'm working on the wheel-hub motors. I hope to post some pics soon.

David G.