Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who wants to try to build this special BMW?

The BMW is indeed special, and practical too. One just never knows when it might be necessary to deal with corn-on-the-cob while on the road.

I remember when I was a mere lad that STP stickers were also widely thought to add horsepower. As much as things change, they seem to stay the same.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Yeah, but see... JCWhitney figured out Buick's secret porthole speed formula and started offering it in their catalog! Now everyone can get portholes and go fast!

I dunno, Harry....

I have an article where these things were tested extensively on 3 different cars.

Average net hp gains were as follows:

• 3"x6" porthole = 7 hp
  • 3"x6" chrome emblem = 5.3 hp
  • 3"x6" vinyl decal= 7.3 hp

Remember, these tests were done in a controlled environment and measured in "visual horsepower"

The really interesting thing though- as more decals were added, the visual horsepower rating seemed to gain exponentially, whereas the port holes and chrome were more of a linear type of progression. Unfortunately, I don't have the numbers from that part of the test... Seems my dog ate the second page from it. :(

You can't polish a turd.

That's true. They proved it a couple of years ago on "MythBusters".

That black BMW is one of the sadder examples of the breed that I've seen, since it looks like the owner really seems to think that he improved his car. Kinda of like this guy...

090.jpg

089.jpg

091.jpg

One thing that the yellow Roadmaster has going for it: The Buick portholes are on an actual Buick this time around!