Model Cars Magazine Forum

If it doesn't draw blood, is it really yours?

Today I was adapting a set of Pegasus wheels and XS disc brakes to my '71 Torino. Using different sizes of aluminum tubing I was able to do the deed. However, I fumbled my x-acto and it landed in the top of my foot (I try to be barefoot whenever possible). No prob, clean it up and slap a bandaid on it. A while later while trimming the back of one of the discs I sliced my right thumb. No prob again- clean it up and put a bandaid on it. The chassis is now up on its wheels, and with the car mocked up it looks darn good. However, I might be getting woozy from the blood loss.

Edited by Harold

Guest Johnny

My right great toe, my left leg mid thigh, many fingers and once almost all the way through my left hand except the blade tip was broken off so it just tented the skin on the top!

They should put warning labels on those suckers!!! :lol:

The other day I broke a personal knife handling rule of my own and put the knife point up sticking out of the box because I couldn't see what was on the bottom of the box and I didn't want to damage the glass or decals. Before long I reached across the box and got a good poke in the heel of my hand and then promptly turned the knife the correct way.

Yep, definitely hate when those things happen! I've had a few come off the desk and come real close, but thankfully never hit my foot.

Reminds me of my friend, Jack (a carpenter). He was opening up a window frame with a sawzall, and pulled the saw back a bit too far... It hit the wall, shot straight down and PINNED his foot to the plywood floor! Went "dead center" through his foot. YEE-OWCH!

I HAD to take this picture, because I cut my thumb so bad one time, I was literally losing this amount of blood every 5-6 seconds:

Photo08111417.jpg

...Of course this was taken after I cleaned the wound and wrapped it up pretty tight!

Those x-acto blades are NO JOKE. Gotta be super-duper careful... and then some!!

I have gotten a lot better recently though (as far as accidents go). I seriously treat those blades as if I'm working with a table saw, band saw, etc... PLEASE, BE CAREFUL GUYS & GALS!!!

Yeah I've always joked that giving a project a little blood is good luck. I laid the pad of my thumb open with a new hobby blade, from stem to stern back when was 19. An astonishing amount of blood on that one. Aside from that no major mishaps.

jut think of the harpoons made to kill mody dick

each of the strongest men had to part with a cruze of blood to temper the steel

there has got to be a good name for the torino in there somehwere

Then I would call it the Cruzerino! :D Okay...maybe not. :blink: Edited by MAGNUM4342

Photo08111417.jpg

What the... :blink: Dude, I hope you took a few drops of the blood and mixed it in the paint for the car :D

BTW: Joey Jordison (drummer of Slipknot) once had a series of drumsticks painted in black, but there was a trick to it - the paint cointained a smal percentage of his own blood. I can imagine catching a stick after the concert... That would be some great "wall of fame" stuff to put up... :D

Anyohw: Yeah, I've cut myself quite a few times by now. But the worst thing that happened to me during modelling was the following:

I was about to strip paint from a die-cast model (I'm just nuts about modifying die-casts... :D ) and I wanted to use Lavacol - a product that 1:1 car painters use to strip paint off cars. The can had a label on it saying something like:"Warning, can under pressure, beware of blast while opening!". I "bewared" LOL... Stood low, covered most of the dangerous area wth my left hand, turned my head semi-sideways and as I popped the can, the pressure released and blew a few tiny drops throughout my garage... Yup, you've guessed it - one drop landed just under my left eye, one just above my upper lip and a few all over my arms and hands... Son of a... It burned like fire, let me tell you... I'm just too happy about the fact that that one drop just missed my eye...

BE CAREFUL!!!

speaking of blood in the paint

i was building this dog house a while ago and i had decided the perfect colour for it was a shade of red called "oxen blood red"

dunno where the name came from but in my head i KNEW the right colour for the doghouse was oxenblood red

so i went over to the local hardware store and asked the girl for oxenblood red

she looked at me like i was crazy, shed never heard of it before but she was willing to look it up

none of her suppliers had a paint by that colour

so i ended up going with a boring "red barn" paint

fast forward a few months and me and the wifey are back in the Netherlands

during one of our trips we decide to take a tour of a local castle

the showed us EVERYTHING, the hunts room, the living quarters, the kitchen

the kitchen

when we got to the kitchen i noticed something

just about every piece of wood in there was painted what had to be OXEN BLOOD RED

so i asked the guide about it and appearantly there is a story behind it

Edited by diymirage

just kidding guys, i wouldnt leave all hanging

here is the story

back in the days the castle was build the goverment taxed EVERYTHING

but something were taxed higher then others

a peice of oak lumber for instance was taxed TWICE as heavy as a piece of pine

so, what did the Dutch noblemen do ?

(peasants couldnt afford oak to begin with)

the painted thier oak and then flat out said it was pine

BUT in order to offset the cost of the paint they would mix in oxen blood which was way cheaper then paint

and that is where it gets not only its hue but also its name

i thought that was pretty cool

[/end story]