Model Cars Magazine Forum

IT`S OFFICIAL! (I HAVE LOST MY MIND)

bryan_m

ok, guys i have definetly lost my mind.......

usually when i get in a rut when im working on something, and i have two projects going now...... i will dig out an engine and just build it. it helps me get goin again, and when im done i`ve got an extra engine in my stash ready to go.....

well, i grabbed an olds 455 tonight and thought.....hmmmm, i guess ill build this one up and add it to my stash.

so, just foolin around i decided to drill out the end of the air cleaner, a nice touch and easy to do........

old004.jpg

so next i decided to cut apart the pulleys and belts. i usually use the kit pulleys or i will make new ones from guitar string ends.........this is where it all went south.

im lookin at the power steering pump and thought....ok, ill drill it out for lines, simple enuff. then i didnt like the way the kit pulley looked, and i am totally out of guitar string ends, so i started diggin through my watch parts, and heres what happened..

pull002.jpg

i made a pulley from watch parts...... but that wasnt good enuff, oh no, i just had to keep goin! LOL

and now we have a bracket as well...

pull001.jpg

and heres what we ended up with....

pull004.jpg

i think it came out pretty good, let me know what ya think guys.......my OCD was really kickin in tonight! :D:blink:

thanks for lookin, and puttin up with my insanity

cheers

bryan

thanks Rob and Dan!

i just tossed all the chrome parts in the purple pond to strip them..........so im done for tonight.

heres a question, arent 455`s supposed to be painted gold? ive had a couple of them, i remember my 70 delta 88 royale had a 455 rocket, and it was gold. ive been lookin at some reference pics, and im seeing them blue, red, and gold as well.

i wish i would have never sold that delta 88, what a nice ride that was, and it was absolutely perfect inside and out........... :unsure: it was gold with a black top, and black interior. the A/C was still blowing ice cold when i sold it! bummer....

thanks again guys!

bryan

I think it varied from model year and application.

I know that blue was used from around 1969-76. The gold engines were, from what I've read lower-performance tunes. I don't think I've ever ran across a 455 in red from the factory. What will the final application be?

I have a couple of friends that are big into Oldsmobiles. I'll ask them for their thoguhts if needed.

Charlie Larkin

thanks Kevin. watch parts are gettin hard to find.... and watchmakers refuse to sell them to you because they are afraid youre gonna start a rival business!

cheers

bryan

You're welcome. I love ingenuity like this. Closest I ever came to using watch parts on a model, was using watch band pins for shock absorbers. :D That counts right? :huh:

Looks great Bryan! You know, this is a great idea! Engines detailing is usually what bogs me down and causes me to lose interest and then start another project. Maybe if I did my engines first, I may actually finish something! I'm definitely going to try it!