Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flamin' Candy Red T-Bucket

DSCF0470-web.jpg

Candy Apple Red ’25 Ford T Bucket

(More pictures below)

I’ve been experimenting with paint lately and recently shot the body of a Revell Boomer T in Tamiya Clear Red over Testors Inca Gold, the result being a genuine and very bright candy red. I then decided to take some of the Fad T vibe out of the car by deleting things like the carriage lights, the trailer and even the roof and switching the wheels, trim rings and tires to those from the Revell ’29 Ford Roadster Pickup, adding chrome spiders, courtesy of Modelhaus. The wheels are finished in Inca Gold. The flames are from a Revell ’32 Ford 5-window and the tailights are AMT ’49 Ford. The motor has its carburetion back dated with a six carb manifold from Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland topped by a half dozen Stromberg 97’s scavenged from some Revell ‘29 Ford RPU kits. The engine block is finished in Inca Gold. Other than those changes the build is straight out of the box. The interior is Duplicolor Wimbledon White with gold flocking.

Thanx for lookin’

B.

DSCF0478-web.jpg

DSCF0490-web.jpg

DSCF0486-web.jpg

DSCF0480-web.jpg

DSCF0492-web.jpg

DSCF0487-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

I had to come back and look at this again! You know what I think makes it stand out the most are the "Big and littles", not too big, not too little. It just has the right look. Not to mention the great paint and I really like the pose-able steering. You knocked this one out of the park!

Edited by rmvw guy

Thanx everyone!!!

The Revell Boomer Bucket kit is based on the Monogram LIttle T from 1964. It just goes to show what great bones that kit had. I bought the Boomer Bucket shortly after resuming building sometime in 2009 and immediately bumbed because of its decidedly late 20th century vibe (I'm sorry, the street rodder's trailer just doesn't make it for me...). So, when it came time to try out the Tamiya Clear Red this seemed like a suitably small target that, if it worked out, I might build up as a quickie.

Well darn if it didn't work out! And then I had a brainwave to try the 5-window flames and, surprise again, if they didn't have the perfect rake, length and color - like they were made for it... (Like the carriage lights, I just didn't want to go with the kit pin stripe outlines...) So I thought, what can I do to get the car in the ball park to my own tastes? Hmmm... how about a set of steelies that I might not use otherwise? The "Rat Rod" steelies and wide whites seemed like the perfect candidate since they're so characteristically identifiable and thus, as nice as they are, ones I repeatedly have avoided using. So, some nice Early Years Resin '40 Ford backing plates, foiled out, a little Inca Gold, the spiders from Modelhaus, and I was just about there. What a pleasant surprise! I may have to build another one of these...

...you got through this one so quickly it never made it onto the Workbench pages!!

Other than adapting the wheels it's just a OTB build with some details... I seem to be getting closer to straight OTB all the time. Yikes!

...time for Monogram to reissue that kit with the w/w tires !!!!

The original Little T is still the one, IMHO, especially with the turtle deck and cylindrical tank options, the reversed rims, and the proper exhaust system. I can only assume many of the parts for a reissue are long gone...

File1-vi.jpg

File2-vi.jpg

scan0001-vi.jpg

scan0002-vi.jpg

(As always, mad props to Blob Back and his incredible DPMCC instruction sheets website: http://www.thedpmcc....tionsintro.html )

Edited by Bernard Kron