Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

AMT Peterbilt 359 second version

6 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I'm trying to determine the year the kit represents and get a brief overview of the kit. I of course am refering to the 359 with the Cummins engine that's brown and white on the box art.

Posted · Report post

I have that the AMT Peterbilt 359 (Kit T501) is a 1975-77, but it might be a little earlier.

Posted · Report post

Jim B is correct. The cab has the larger rear window that replaced the smaller back window in late '74. The cab debuted in late '72.

The instrument panel is late '72 through late '77.

Tim

Posted · Report post

Thanks Jim & Tim that answers my question the only other thing I always wandered about is the sleeper it just don't look right to me.

Posted · Report post

The sleeper is just plain wrong. AMT should have used roof from the original T500 359 kit and made new sidewalls and doors. The sleeper should be 4 inches taller than the old sleeper - the doors are the same as the older kit but with a 4 inch filler panel on the top - with a grab handle mounted to the panel. AMT really missed the mark on the roof cap on the later sleeper.

36inchsleeperrh.jpg

You could use the sleeper from the Revell 'snap' 359 and graft in the square doors and scribe in the filler panel and have a correct shaped sleeper.

Tim

Posted · Report post

The sleeper is just plain wrong. AMT should have used roof from the original T500 359 kit and made new sidewalls and doors. The sleeper should be 4 inches taller than the old sleeper - the doors are the same as the older kit but with a 4 inch filler panel on the top - with a grab handle mounted to the panel. AMT really missed the mark on the roof cap on the later sleeper.

36inchsleeperrh.jpg

You could use the sleeper from the Revell 'snap' 359 and graft in the square doors and scribe in the filler panel and have a correct shaped sleeper.

Tim

Thanks Tim ,I didn't think I was that crazy.