Model Cars Magazine Forum

Garage Dio(Getting started!)

nboldman

Well i have decided that since im out of models and money to buy more and have some balsa wood and plywood sitting around i would start a diorama. Ive got some messy pictures of my plans if you can understand my plans, i know i can. Any suggestions would be great as tis is my first diorama im building from balsa wood. heres the pics:

2012-07-08184046.jpg

2012-07-08184052.jpg

2012-07-08184100.jpg

i found the plans online and liked the design, so im rolling with it.

Also need a name for the shop, and would like it to incorporate my last name which is Boldman. any ideas for that would be cool and appreciated. thanks.

Edited by nboldman

"BOLDMAN SPEEDSHOP" sounds good to me...... or just "BOLDSPEED" or "BOLDMAN AUTOWORKS". i think i like "boldspeed" the most....because not only is it fast it is also bold!! LOL...........

I use "1613 AUTOWORKS" as my ficticious company name. the 1613 comes from my dads initials, P is the 16th letter of the alphabet, and M is the 13th....so we get 1613, and it sounds cool too! LOL

nice plans too, i found some on the net i saved as well, ill get around to building it one of these days...cant wait to see more of this, ill be following it.

cheers

bryan

"BOLDMAN SPEEDSHOP" sounds good to me...... or just "BOLDSPEED" or "BOLDMAN AUTOWORKS". i think i like "boldspeed" the most....because not only is it fast it is also bold!! LOL...........

I use "1613 AUTOWORKS" as my ficticious company name. the 1613 comes from my dads initials, P is the 16th letter of the alphabet, and M is the 13th....so we get 1613, and it sounds cool too! LOL

nice plans too, i found some on the net i saved as well, ill get around to building it one of these days...cant wait to see more of this, ill be following it.

cheers

bryan

hmmm, i like BoldSpeed! thanks for the idea! Maybe label it something similar to this BOLDSPEED. Lol. Your name sounds really cool and i like how you incorporated your father's initials. Hopefully will be starting on this in the next week or so. just neeed to get my base cut and its been really hot to do so! It's suppost to cool down in the next week so maybe ill get it done soon!

regardless of what you build - or call it - modeling isn't about money.

imagination, creativity and craftsmanship are where it's at.

pm if you need a kit to build (my choice!) - and don't forget to post progress shots.

yeah i build alot from the parts box. My mom has a tight income and my dad doesnt want to support my hobby so i build when i can get my hands on something. ive got a 1972 Chevy pickup on its way form a trade i did with stuff i had laying around, but i have no idea when it ill arrive.

I like your ideas here. I was never good with wood or blueprints lol. Sorry to hear bout your pops not wantin to support your creativity. I'm sure I have an unstarted fresh kit around i'd donate if your interested.

This is my first attempt at a full wood diorama. Ive done a few using foam board and just didnt like the result. He might do a thing here and there, but he would rather watch me play sports than build a model. Ive got a model or two coming :) Just a matter of when they get here. so ill kindly thank you for the offer, but i will decline your offer.

BOLDSpeed

I like that. Get it going, you are going to have some fun.

Now i need logos! LOL :D going to try and cut my base out today!

If I was you (and I know I'm not) I would seriously reconsider the use of balsa for the frame for a couple of reasons.

First, it's extrememly soft, dents easily, soaks up wood glue and paint, warps when wet and is extremely fragile. It's just not the right material in my opinion.

You could use basswood or thin plywood which is much stronger but also more expensive and more difficult to work with.

Foam core board is definitely the way to go and the material of choice for building frames.... unless you can get the "Gatorboard" for a reasonable price. I don't know what problem you had with Foamcore board in the past, but any problem you have had with it can be overcome woth a little practise and help from other forum members. The essentials are a sharp blade, careful measuring, a metal square, a metal straight edge for cutting..... and keep it away from excess water when finishing it. White glue like Elmer's school glue is all you need for any of the above materials.

Hope this helps.... but the choice of course, is still yours.......

Tony

I'm thinking of sticking with the balsa wood because I had it laying around and am on a tight budget. Only reason I orderrd more was because I didn't think I had enough. I don't blieve ill be painting the balsa as the outer wall will be a ribbed sheet plastic that I have laying around amd the inner will probably be a sheet plastic painted to my liking. The only thing I'm not sure about is the floor.... I appreciate the advice though. And the problem I had with the foam board is I couldn't cut it right and everytime I screwed up I had to buy more. I've got enough balsa now that I don't have to worry about it

I understand the position you're in Nathan...... I've been there myself many times before. I see you're 16, and now is the time to experiment with different materials.... and as you get to grow into the "old Fart" stage like me, you'll have all kinds of experience and knowledge under your belt, learned from each project... what worked and what didn't.

Go for whatever idea works for you... but keep your mind open to other possibilities for your future projects. Lots of great builders on this site more than willing to help along the way. Keep updating us with progress pictures and don't be shy about asking more questions.

(Man... I just sounded like my father.... and he's been dead for over 30 years.... scary!)

Tony

By the way.... white glue won't work on styrene or any kind of plastic... it just forms a skin and will peel off. So you can't glue it to the balsa wood frame. You're only really practical solution there would be double sided tape.

Edited by GTMust

Elmer's school (white) glue will work just fine and will dry clear. You could also use regular carpenter's glue but that dries cream colored. (I still think you'd be better with the foamcore board........)

Tony

just so i know whats the easiest and best way to glue the balsa wood to each other for the frame? wood glue? hot glue? White glue? tack nails? which would be the best way of doing this? thanks

nathan.

Brown ELMER'S wood. Hold's like a bat out'a ____! Just my pref. Michaelj...