Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Impala build Updated 7-16-12 It's done !

cobraman

Started this kit the other day. I filled the holes in the front fenders for the ornaments. Didn't want to use them. Body and some other parts primed and or painted. The grill has beed dull coated to tone it down. The rear bumper was masked so I could also dull coat the chrome panel above the bumper. I think it looks more realistic. I am also making up some leaf springs for the front because I am toying with the idea of building it "gasser like". I say "gasser like" because I don't want to start the is a gasser, is not a gasser discussion. : ) Don't really want it to represent a true drag car but more of a street machine. I haven't built a Chevy in a long time ( yes I do like them even if I am a Ford man ). I also haven't painted a model green in a long time and yes, this will be green, very green. Thanks for looking and as always comments pro or con are equally welcome. 1impala001.jpg1impala003.jpg1impala002.jpg

Edited by cobraman

This is a great kit in my opinion, it will be interesting to see where you go with it. Looks good so far, maybe a little silver on the body? It will look tons better when you get the trim detailed. This kit does come with some nice decals for the side trim. I'll be watching!

Good idea toning down the headlight buckets and tail light panel Ray, they're aluminum on the 1:1, and they always look wrong on a model when the builder doesn't knock the shine down on 'em! When you said Green, you meant it, it should look great when it's done!

Edited by Custom Mike

Got some done on the Impala over the last couple of days. Don't you hate when you think something looks good and then see a photo and realize something was forgotten ? I have to fix that I did not sand off the seem on the oil filler cap. Sticks out like a sore thumb. Maybe other stuff as well. Anyway, you may notice there is no boots on the plug wires. I did not forget that I just could not get the black hose on the wire. My old eyes ain't what they used to be. I need to get a free standing magnafier of some sort. I used the decal side trim on the body but now think I should have done it with BMF. Body still needs to be cleared and foiled. Does anyone know if I can dullcoat the whitewall decals on the slicks without harming them. In my 61 years ( more than 50 building ) I have never used decals on the tires. As always comments both good or bad are welcome. Thanks for looking.

impala3003.jpgimpala3004.jpgimpala3005.jpg

how did you get that pattern on the seats? looks good!

i found out when doing decals on tires, just make sure you hit them with alot of solvaset, they laydown really nice. i did it on my "dreamsicle" build, if you wanna see how the decals came out, its posted in "under glass"

keep it goin! lookin good!

bryan

The decal sheet provides the seat pattern. Pretty nice kit with lots of detail decals. The side trim is decals also. I am beginning to think I should have used BMF on them. Not sure how it will look with BMF on the window trim and not on the side trim.

i read your post about the boots on the plug wires......use something pointy and small and push it up inside the boots to stretch them a little bit and they will slide right on... i usually put them on the engine side of the wire, but never on the distributor side, i think it looks too cluttered when you try to get all those boots on there.....hope this helps.

and i know what ya mean about not bein able to see, my eyes are gettin so bad, i use a cheap pair of those magnifying glasses you can get at the pharmacy when im at the bench, they help out alot.....i used to have a lighted magnifier on a nice stand, but it got broken, bummer

bryan

Ya know, that's a good tip about trying to stretch the tube first. Where were you when I was going crosseyed trying to put that tubing on the wire ? : ). Don't know why I didn't think of that. I actually spent 15 minutes on the first one and had no luck. I guess I will try that if I attempt a wired distributer again. Thanks everyone for the kind words.

yea use an awl or something sharp n pointy, it works great, and the wire will slide right on there, and if ya stretch it a bit too much it usually goes right back into shape....

glad i could help, even if it was late! LOL

bryan

I have had good luck on the spark plug boots with a pinted round tooth pick. I think that I use wooden tooth picks as tools almost as much as an Exacto on the work bench.

oh yea, duh!! i forgot toothpicks... i use them constantly too.......they are great tools.

bryan