Model Cars Magazine Forum

350z track. RATROD

Hippie

Well Here I go staring anther wip even thought the big bike isn't finished yet.

This is the tamiya kit originally i bought this thinking i would build what I'd like for a first car, the 350z in real life is reasonably obtainable for a first car for me, but I honestly suck at shinny paint so I'm doing a kinda of euro rat look combined with the Air force. Not sure If that style exist, or if anyone will like it heck I'll probably hate it in the end but basically the car's gona be olive drab with exposed rivets and be crazy lowered ect. ect.

Probably should shut up and post some pictures.............

First off as I said the car is gona have a bunch of rivets, I plan to use two sizes just for more fun for the larger I've drilled out a bunch of holes, that later will get rivets, for the smaller I'm gona use the decal ones. Also all the panel lines have been rescibed and given a black wash that hopefully will still be seen once painted.

DSCN3466.jpg

Wheels where the next big task and they come from tamiya's Porsche 959 that I showed a while ago. right now there in primer but later they will probably be lime green.

DSCN3469.jpg

Then the suspension was messed entitle i got this stance. The fronts are pulled in a ton and the back stick out with some negative camber.

DSCN3470.jpg

Here's that negative camber:

DSCN3471.jpg

Also carved out the area for the license plate that later will have two big pipes sticking out like jet engines

DSCN3472.jpg

The front of the car was really boring stock:

DSCN3461.jpg

So I built this huge air box behind it, and added some details to look busy

DSCN3462.jpg

Then when installed you just could look through so I built this plate behind it to kind look like the front of a engine just a bunch of pulleys and two turbos, later I'll add some mesh, sorry this pic's kinda sucky......

DSCN3464.jpg

The chassis plate is really nice and detailed from tamiya but I paint really thick so I re scribed some of the lines so details where more bold and got it into primer.

DSCN3465.jpg

Thanks for looking and your input is welcome :)

Edited by Hippie

sorry for doing anther post but the board told me I had to many pictures so here's the end of the above post.

The kit comes with two dashes both right and left hand drive:

DSCN3477.jpg

The TV tells me planes usually have two steering wheels so I combined the two. :P

DSCN3478.jpg

Thanks for looking and your input is welcome :)

i like this theme as well. :D the only thing that made me cringe was the super negative camber with some super positive offset wheels... :unsure: need some deepdish wheels for that kinda oni-kyan(demon camber).... lmk if you need some wheels, i can direct you to someone that might have a set you would like. :D

Thanks for all the great comments

christhobe thanks for the pic's haven't had much luck finding inspiration for this build. (I have no idea why this is bold???)

Also could some of you guys post pictures of all the wheel types you're talking about, to be honest I have no idea what you're talking about..........

These where the other wheals I was considering but there way bigger

DSCN3497.jpg

Here's comparing them........

DSCN3498.jpg

Also a tinny bit of work on the interior, I'm re building it to all look like stamped metal. still a ton more to do............

DSCN3502.jpg

Looking at real B 17 I realized there's actually a lot of wood in the WWII planes so I used a bunch of thin strips in the trunk...........

DSCN3503.jpg

Also worked on the dash the two put together didn't look to good there was a bit of a gap and I don't have the skills to fix that making it look reasonably good so I'm rebuilding the whole thing, so far its just card stock temples but later it will all plastic, the other blank side will be the same as the one already done.........

DSCN3504.jpg

Thanks for looking and thanks again for the comments, and if anyone could I'd like to see some pictures of those rims you guys mentioned.......

Hello everyone, Thanks for the comments JollySipper and Tony T

Thanks for the kind offer for the aluminum But I respectfully decline, I actually tried aluminum first to build the interior and I sort of failed.....Also I over heard you're gonna quit the form, Just my 2 cents but I would stick around, the world needs more people as nice as you...

A bit of progress, I continued with the interior, first off I got the man "plate" done, also started on the seats, not sure which of the two I'll use yet.....

DSCN3508.jpg

Then I started to paint it all, I'm going for a beat down used aircraft look so first I used some duplicolor white primer, sprayed really thick, which kinda helped the flat plastic look like stamped metal.

DSCN3511.jpg

Then I brush painted some Model Masters buff-able steel in some areas, which was fallowed by some brown and rust.

DSCN3512.jpg

Then I Dr. Cranky's cool salt technique but instead of spraying everything in water i just brushed on water in select areas.

DSCN3513.jpg

The paint color is going to be that zinc chromatic green but when I opened my bottle it was all dried up........... :(

So I moved on to the front air box, Painted it red, like the warning areas on jets, Also tried a new painting technique, You use extremely high pressure, with really thin paint, the pic doesn't show it but it came out with a pretty cool look. .

DSCN3523.jpg

Lastly I got the rest of the rivet's holes drilled out, not that's very exciting.

DSCN3510.jpg

Thanks for looking, and thanks for the comments again. :)

Edited by Hippie

HI, and thanks for the comments guys,

Sorry for updating the day after the last update suppose I should of just waited a day but I got the paint for the interior, early

Already have some part painted and weathered, did my best on the weathering but not nearly as good as some of your guy's stuff.

DSCN3547.jpg

DSCN3538.jpg

Don't think I ever pointed this out: I hid some speakers in the trunk area,

DSCN3539.jpg

And some how the wood floor turned out decent, I got pretty lucky.... :D

DSCN3540.jpg

Also got the rims painted,

DSCN3543.jpg

The back camber wasn't as necessary as I thought, so I managed to get rid of some, looks a bit better in my opinion.........

DSCN3542.jpg

And lastly I redid the red paint up front this time with some black mixed in the paint, also went over it with a black wash just to get its glare down a bit,

DSCN3548.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone and next time I'll try for better updates..

thanks for the comments guys, About the wheels they have been a constant stumbling point for me, I decided early on I would try to do one of the those funny looking Japanese tuners, but the wheels for them are really quite hard to find, I mean there's plenty out there but there all around 12in diameter, which is just way to small in my opinion, right now its running 20" and there's still a lot of empty fender, stock they where only 19", Its just my personal opinion but I think car look better when the fender is filled up more, not of course donks......they kinda suck... :D

Anyways here's some progress, I got the final stance, I said a while back that I got rid of some of the rear camber, turns out that wasn't prototypical, In 1/1 you have to run camber other wise you have to modify the fenders which I'm not skilled enough to do...

DSCN3565.jpg

Also finished on the under body, this isn't really seen when finished but a bit of the back is so I painted and weathered it up... The exhaust may look wrong with only one pipe, but turns out oddly thats one of the ways to get better performance, apparently because only one pipe leads in to the muffler its better to only have one come out so instead of replacing the hole system with two pipes you just replace the muffler and run one exhaust pipe, kinda odd but whatever.

DSCN3563.jpg

also got the body in primer, and surprised something, the molding in line where all over the body originally from tamiya, so I sanded these all of but it seems that right next to them they had a scribed in line that needs to be filled, just a little warning to anyone building this, being lazy I'm doing nothing and just going to added more rivets but i figured i should point it out, (the sanding marks have been smoothed a bit since this pic)

DSCN3564.jpg

Work continued with the dash, I deviated from my original model, just to make it a bit essayer to build. I then I added my cartonish sized welds that most of this build has.

DSCN3566.jpg

Painted green and weathered it looks like this I also added some digital screens right now there a bit hazy, the glue is still drying.........

DSCN3571.jpg

Also got door cards done, I didn't use any on tamiya's pieces just scratch built some, there difrint on both sides to added character...... :lol:

DSCN3573.jpg

Sorry I just realized I don't have a pic for the other side, will have to update latter you also can notice that instead of steering wheels I added some WWII plane inspired things, the left side sears left to right and the the right side controls forwards or reverse.... also did the emergcy break like it was on.....

I've also began painting, the top will be black and the bottom will be Olive drab, been hagin around finescale modeler and tried on of there techniques, I preshaded a lot of things we'll see how it works...hopefully everything looks really weathered.

DSCN3567.jpg

few other things, thing I got the antenna started,

DSCN3568.jpg

And added some funny looking supports to the back window.

DSCN3570.jpg

Thanks for watching everyone and your comments are appreciated... :)

One other thing, the reason all the pictures are so dark is that I turned down the exposure a lot, It in my mind, cuts down on the glint of the plastic so you can see more details. but it makes the pictures dark. If your could chime in if you like the pictures better this way of like normal pictures. Thanks...

Edited by Hippie