Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished: 59 Rambler Wagon

Billy Kingsley

I finished this one up last night. This is the one I'm in desperate need of a taillight for! It just doesn't look right with only one!

It's funny...all this time, I knew the Ramblers existed, but I couldn't have been able to pick one out of a crowd. But now, after building this one, I've grown to really love the little car!

I lowered it by flipping the chassis pan (it's a curbside) and then, lowered it even more but cutting the posts that the pan screwed into and trimming the same posts off the bumper. I also had to BMF most of the rear bumper due to the excessive flash on it. (It IS a Johan, LOL!) I robbed the wheels and tires from the Model King issue 63 Impala from 94 or so. They fit onto the kit axles, though I did have to modify all 4 wheels to make them fit.

The paint is MML Light Toreador Red with clearcoat that came out good on the hood roof and tailgate but nasty on the doors, the right side in particular. I tried to do it when it was too windy, and it messed me up. I should have known better!!

Overall a REALLY fun build, that totally changed my outlook on the car. I had originally purchased this just to help out Okey...and I'm Very glad I did.

2006June13th001-vi.jpg

2006June13th002-vi.jpg

2006June13th003-vi.jpg

2006June13th004-vi.jpg

2006June13th005-vi.jpg

• Like 1

You wouldn't remember Billy, but I can remember as a kid in the '60's when these things were EVERYWHERE. In fact I got an almost daily ride in one of these 'cuz a good friend of my Mom's had one (a '58 I think).

I'd like to take the one I have and turn it into a four door hardtop Rebel. I'd have to do some surgery on the front fenders as they're for an Ambassador and thus are too long.

It's nice to see after all these years those old Ramblers are starting to get some recognition........in the 1:1 world and in model form.8)

Billy its pretty cool how you try all styles of builds , Nascar , '48 chevy , 59 Rambler ,Nascar , the old classics , el caminos did I mention Nascar... LOL.... I have 6 of those Ramblers when they first came out, never got past opening one up to check it out... cool builds Billy ....

Thanks guys!

You can do it Bill!! If anyone can, it's you!

Ken, I'll build pretty much anything!! Later this year I have 2 new ones planned for me: Brass Era car and, well, a big old truck! LOL. I got the Mack DM800 from Dave at the NNL East last year and by gosh I'm going to build the thing! :(

A few years ago it was mostly all Chevys I did, in fact I still have more built Chevys in my collection then anything else! (54 Chevys vs. 51 NASCARs)

I've got two more NASCARs and one more Chevy planned to be finished before I take my summer modeling break...I needs my AC!! :)