Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 auto transport GMC

I did one of these in 3/16" scale a number of years ago. It was a lot of fun and am looking at doing it in 1/25th scale this go around. It looks like from the mid 60's to early 70's. If any one can get more specific on the year it would be a great help. I have not looked for a resin of plastic of the cab yet but if I cant find one i will do it from scratch. Obviously the trailer will be scratch built. I have about 200 detail photos of this rig from every inch of it. The trail is a Whitehead and Kales from Detroit, not sure of the year for it. The cab was retro fitted for this specific trailer either when new or some point at least 40 years ago.

P1010001.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

If anyone has some information on this type of unit or know of some

kits or resins that would work for the cab, it would be appreciated.

A drawing or dimensions would be great help also.

Do some searching on net and I think that cab is available. I don't remember a kit being offered of that vintage semi but the cab is built off of the 67-72 GM body style. There were car hauler trailers available in kit form, do a search of eBay or some of the kit sellers (Modelroundup, Dean's Hobby Stop, Fred Sterns) as they might have that car hauler kit.

I am not familiar with drive trains and frames but those wheels look like what is in some of the recently released truck kits and probably easier to use.

Best of luck with your build. The real challenge will be building the kits to simulate the load on that trailer!

I agree with Anton, you'll want to start with the GMC 9500 short hood from AITM http://www.aitruckmodels.com/pages/ck25gmc9500shortnose.html

Back when I was running the road, there was company called Leaseway Transportation that originally had the GMC 9500's. I'm not sure what year, but they started replacing the fleet with volvo whites.

HPIM0450.jpg

file0006.jpg

Good luck with your project, looking forward to seeing your work in progress photos'.

This is a mid to late sixties GMC 9500 series,the short hood version,usually powered by a 238 Detroit diesel,and equipped with a tag axle,the 9500 series also came in a long hood version,a good many of those were V-12 Deroit powered.The same cab was also used on the later "Brigadier" and "Bruin" series trucks by GMC and Chevrolet respectively. Many car-carriers used this exact set-up as it was pretty much bulletproof for its intended purpose.............Mark

I've been planning the same build for a while now, adapting the Revell transporter trailer to the modified GMC tractor. I was planning on modifying a pickup body, but I might just go for that resin body instead. My plan revolves around Anchor Motor Freight, which was the company G.M. used in the 60's and 70's. They were painted nearly the same color as the Leaseway rigs above - I wonder if the two companies were somehow related? I want to build the transporter and fill it with a set of various 1969 Chevy models. Thanks, Anton, for the recommendations for the donor chassis.

That particular GM truck cab is not related to any GM pick up cab it was unique to medium and heavy duty models. AITM's resin cab is a near perfect match. The inline 6 71 (238) detroit diesel most of these trucks were powered by is available in resin from Sourkrauts and others. Some were also powered by the detroit 6v71 v6 engine available from the same sources in resin. Looking forward to some pics.