Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Ranchero - tire rack added to trailer

DSCN4530-vi.jpg

I built this ’57 Ranchero for a friend who had such a vehicle back in the late sixties with which he towed a ’65 Shelby GT-350R racecar. About eight years ago, I built him a model of the Shelby so when he acquired a 1/25 trailer the idea of reuniting the model racecar and a model of the tow vehicle seemed like a project that needed to be completed. I was fortunate that a model car builder friend had a stock height previously started Ranchero kit he was willing to part with. In fact he had two kits to trade.

DSCN4527-vi.jpg

I have to say I am pretty impressed with a kit that started life over fifty years ago as a station wagon. The separate body panels had been previously glued together so it already seemed like a model body I have become used to.

BUILD PROCESS

- Separated dash from cowl. Instruments are a decal made from an internet image of a brochure illustrating the dash.

DSCN4534-vi.jpg

- Molded pickup bed floor and side to body

- Headlight and taillight bezels and lenses from AMT 57 Ford

- Grill, gravel panel, narrowed front bumper, hood, steering wheel, dash and engine from AMT 57 Ford

DSCN4531-vi.jpg

- Wheels are narrowed American Torque-Thrusts from AMT ’49 Ford

- Fender skirts scratch-built and removable

- Door handles from Owencraft

- Paint Testor’s Boyd’s White and Artic Blue Metallic

- Scripting decals made with Testor’s program

DSCN4524-vi.jpg

Edited by Phildaupho

Your friend should be happy with both, nice combo! I like the trailer also, I would love a closer peek at it, any chance?.......The Mustang is awesome! Thanks for sharing that also. I had to go back an check it out on your link. Very nice!

Edited by rmvw guy

• 2 weeks later...