Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building With Gloves

l have seen articles in the past where some builders used gloves. That has been some time ago. l have developed a problem now that MS has affected my hand more and l get sweat and oil on my builds. then while cleaning and waxing l am getting some light scratches and a few spots. Tamiya dicontinued the hobby gloves so l wanted some opinions and to see if any one else uses gloves.? l need something on my right hand as l hold the car....Slusher

I use the nitrile from HF. About $10 a box. The sies run small. I have small hands and the mediums are tight which I prefer.

is there an echo in here? :D one problem with nitrile though, is that they tend to fill with sweat, makes a nice splash when you take them off and your hand looks like a prune.

How about those cotton gloves with the rubber dots or the ones with the whole palm diped in rubber?

A possible alternative, is to wrap a piece of aluminum foil around the model. Just leave the area you are working on exposed. You can move the foil around depending what part of the model you're working on.

Okay. You're wearing cotton gloves on the final assembly of a very fine and SHINY :) :) :) build. Aren't you afraid of that waxed beauty slipping out of your hands?

I use cotton gloves on final assembly. The trick is to caress or gently hold the model. Don't hold it with a death grip and you"ll be less likely to drop it. I got mine from a funeral home. I asked nicely while there for my grandmother's funeral (R.I.P. Nunnie) and they gave me a couple of pair.

A possible alternative, is to wrap a piece of aluminum foil around the model. Just leave the area you are working on exposed. You can move the foil around depending what part of the model you're working on.

Wouldn't you worry about the aluminum foil scratching that Shiny surface that you just polished out or ruining the patina (read: fauxtina) that you spent hours getting "just right"?

seems like my last few builds, i must have been wearing mittens. my clean-room suit was out at the cleaners, and all i had to work with was a snowmobile suit and some swim fins. still, i was doing okay until the welding goggles auto-darkened on me every time i looked towards the window.

Hey Crazy Jim, try them cotton gloves. If one of them purdy, shiny builds of yours slips and falls on the floor you may have to make a weathered, rusty wreck out of it. You may even like it. :) :) :)

Not a chance on either, Chuck. I might try the cotton gloves. unshiny :( is not in my little world.

Wouldn't you worry about the aluminum foil scratching that Shiny surface that you just polished out or ruining the patina (read: fauxtina) that you spent hours getting "just right"?

No. The foil is smooth, and soft. Never had a problem. Use a new piece of foil... nothing there to harm anything.

I will also use foil to cover (part of) an engine assembly so the paint won't rub through.

Just throwing the proverbial wrench around , but......... We all get a touch of glue on our fingertips from time to time , correct ? You feel it , you wipe it off , end of story !

What happens when you get glue on the gloves ?

You're screwed !

Good point. Another plus for the foil cover.

Good point. Another plus for the foil cover.

Nope !

Another scratch waiting to happen . Thumb on left rain gutter , forefinger wrapped around to right side of frame , pick straight up ! Spin , lay on lefthand fingers formed into a tripod , set down on tips of fingers .

Just throwing the proverbial wrench around , but......... We all get a touch of glue on our fingertips from time to time , correct ? You feel it , you wipe it off , end of story !

You're screwed !

l can oly say l just plan on holding the car in my right had to keep prints and oil off the body on final assy. the left is what l use to build and will not have a glove on..thanks..

You're screwed !

Change gloves?

I can honestly say that that has never happened to me. I always put the glue where the part is going to go instead of putting it on the part itself. No chance of getting glue on my glove that way.

Something else that may work for you Carl is Saran Wrap. It certainly wouldn't scratch your paint up. I have a roll of a product called Mar Guard that is a see through blue tape that sticks by static cling that I want to try sometime.

roger , l ordered some gloves but l have been useing the t shirt ldea until they get here and it works. if the gloves are not comfortable l will give you a email.