Model Cars Magazine Forum

Have a question about the Happy Days series of models

gray07

Ive seen topics about the street demon and the hotrod series models, iam wandering how many was in the Happy days series and what were they, i found pictures of these 2.

happydays.jpg

happydays2.jpg

are they just reissues from the street demon series

Edited by Casey

Yeah I think so. I have an even earlier edition of the '31 called Mother's Cherry Pie wagon. It's a mess of flash and badly fitting parts, two piece plastic tires, bad chrome and a multi-part body. I'll be cannibalizing this one for sure.

I think the "Happy Days" kits were released a few years before the "Street Demons" series, but each series did not contain all the same kits.

Two other Revell "Happy Days" kits I found Googling are the...

'29 Ford Model A pickup:

hapday29pu.JPG

A T-bucket:

And I know there was a two motorcycle kit, too- maybe a Triumph and a ???

Yeah I think so. I have an even earlier edition of the '31 called Mother's Cherry Pie wagon. It's a mess of flash and badly fitting parts, two piece plastic tires, bad chrome and a multi-part body. I'll be cannibalizing this one for sure.

^^This.

These kits were a bad period for Revell in that they were re-issues of once great kits with new box art, but once you got the box open you were treated to poor quality moldings, lots of flash, chrome trees that had thick plating with runs and even hair in it- the same could be said for the later "Hot Rod" branded releases as well. I remember buying three of the Model A roadster pickup kits to make up one build-able example :o.

The 80's was not a good period for Revell kits, and the current "rat rod" issues are far superior in that the chrome trees and other sprues have finally got the care and attention they desperately deserve. I think you'll find most of the value from the "Happy days" kits will be in the box art and not as build-able examples of kits available today.

The 80's was not a good period for Revell kits

Very true, but I might extend it into the late '70s and end it in the late '80s, as by '88/'89 or so, Revell was reborn and started putting out some every nice kits. The "Ceji era", when Revell was owned by the French company, were possibly Revell's darkest days.

Very true, but I might extend it into the late '70s and end it in the late '80s, as by '88/'89 or so, Revell was reborn and started putting out some every nice kits. The "Ceji era", when Revell was owned by the French company, were possibly Revell's darkest days.

Also true- I never got really specific 'cause I couldn't remember exactly when it was that Revell went bad.

I started building in the early 70's and remember being overjoyed when Revell got their quality back on track (some time in the late 80's)...I always liked the subject matter of the back catalogue but left them alone for awhile based on those late 70's to early 80's unboxing experiences. To date I've been reluctant to pick up recent releases of some of those gasser models I built as a youth, so this section is a godsend to those who want a look under the shrink wrap before spending today's prices on re-issued kits from the dark days.

I am right there with you. The "Street Demons" '32 Ford Sedan and '56 Ford Pickup were enough to turn me off to Revell kits in the early '80s...then I was foolish enough to pick up a "Lightning Rods" Chevy Monza kit in the '90s on a whim. :o:lol:

I thank the Happy Days series was the last reissue of the Revell Parts Packs motorcycles. They're hard to find and worth their weight in expensive metal.

Mike

The Revell Parts Packs motorcycles were last released in the Grease Series.

The Harley and Honda set sold on eBay recently for $132.50.