Model Cars Magazine Forum

Prudhomme's 1970 Top Fuel car

2002p51

I don't want anybody to think I've turned into some sort of maniac whose suddenly cranking out finished models at an amazing pace. Three of the models I've posted here in the last couple of weeks are merely completions of long stalled projects that were 80% completed already. So, here's another one. :lol:

This is Don Prudhomme's Top Fuel dragster from 1970. You may recognize the version as being done by Revell in 1/16 scale, but this is 1/25. The base kit is the AMT Tommy Ivo dragster. I cut the body down, removed that huge tail, and made a new roll bar from Evergreen rod. The engine is mostly from the kit with headers and injector from Revell. The rear tires are resin copies of MPC slicks and the wheels are from my spares box.

prudhomme01-vi.jpg

prudhomme02-vi.jpg

prudhomme03-vi.jpg

The paint is Testors Chrome Yellow and I really can't remember which blue I used. :unsure:

But it's the decals that made this project possible and they were made for me by my good friend Skip Samples. He used the Revell 1/16 scale sheet to produce these 1/25 scale decals. (And no, he cannot produce any for sale, sorry.)

This now makes six Prudhomme cars in my collection. You can see all of them at this link: http://public.fotki..../don-prudhomme/

As usual I like to read all comments, both good and bad, so have at it! :)

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS KIT FOR A LONG TIME

BUT WHEN I FIND ONE THEY ARE OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE.

YOU ARE KILLING ME WITH THIS ONE,....ENVY IS BAD.

GREAT WORK, ON THIS CLASSIC MONSTER

You did get that this is NOT a Revell 1/16 scale kit, didn't you? It's 1/25, made from an AMT Tommy Ivo kit.

Outstanding work! Great photography too. This turned out very well.

If I may ask, where did you get Snake decals for the Late 1970 FED? Looks like you used the Mongoose kit, but I've never seen Snake decals for it.

Do you mean the Hot Wheels car? That's an original kit built when they were new. :)