Model Cars Magazine Forum

1st car model in over 30 years 32 Ford three window almost done 8.29

Hamar

Go easy on me now. I havent built a car model in over 30 years. I've been busy building real ones. The Car Club that I belong to decided to hold it's first annual club model contest. This will be my entry. I know I have a long way to go but here it is so far. I still have to clear it. I'll be using the DuPont 7480. I'll post more as I go if you fellers like what you see...

rev32-1.jpg

rev32-2.jpg

rev32-3.jpg

Edited by Hamar

I hear you, it has been 20+ years for me. It started with my being in a store one day with nephew and daughter, and I saw the detail now avail. I remember thinking why didnt they have this stuff when I was doing these? Well now they have a ton of stuff, and from the pix, you are doing a pretty good job. Rock on!

Thanks guys! I think I'm getting rehooked, I just picked up a Willys coupe kit. The Deuce is coming along, today, I put down 6 coats of dupont 7480s gloss clear and it looks wicked! Going to let that set up over the weekend and the get after it with assembly.

Hi Terry! You caught me! LOL...

Tom, It is funny that you mention that. I grew up watching my dad build military aircraft and paint figures (He does a pretty fair job of it now for a guy his age). While I was young, I learned his tricks of the trade.. I guess his extreme patience teaching me back then hasnt been forgotten.

Hi, Hal. Welcome back to the hobby.

Are you in South Shore in Weymouth by chance?

On the subject of clubs- MassCar is the model car club that serves Greater Boston and the southeastern part of Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

We meet on the second Saturdays and third Wednesdays at the old Rustcraft Greeting Card building, 150 Rustcraft Rd., Dedham. Take 128 to Rt. 1/1A North (Dedham exit, I believe it's exit 14 if heading north.) At WFXT/Fox 25 and the Walgreen's turn right and follow that road to us.

The Saturday meetings start around 1:00 or so, we usually try to start the Wednesday meetings no later than 7:00.

Visitors sincerely welcome. Feel free to stop by anytime, and don't forget our show March 17, 2013 at the Holiday Inn in Taunton- exit 9 off of 495.

Charlie Larkin

Hi Charlie,

I did grow up in Weymouth and my Mom and Dad still live there. I know about MassCar. I've been to a couple of your shows in the past. Thank you for all the club and show information. Maybe see if I can get away and check it out one day.

Tom, It is funny that you mention that. I grew up watching my dad build military aircraft and paint figures (He does a pretty fair job of it now for a guy his age). While I was young, I learned his tricks of the trade.. I guess his extreme patience teaching me back then hasnt been forgotten.

Welcome to the board, Hal! For someone who hasn't built a model car in over 30 years, you're certainly off to a great start!

Can you tell us what all is involved in getting the pleats etc of an interior to look as good as yours?

• 1 month later...

I know I'm working slow but life is mighty busy. Here are a few updated pics to show where I am on this build.

coupe2.jpg

cooupe3.jpg

coupe4.jpg

coupe1.jpg

Wired the distributor with the correct firing order, ran a fuel line to the carbs, ran a carb throttle linkage, Used M/V lenses for the tail lights, scratch built my own tunnel ram. Has to be finished by labor day weekend...........

Hal Welcome to the FORUM!

I thought you might have some figure painting back ground, I have painted all types of Military Figures and vehicles over the last 55years! My Grand Father taught me to paint figures when I was about 7 or 8 years old!

Edited by Tom Setzer