Model Cars Magazine Forum

transtar 2 long and short wheelbase

This is true. And with that cab you can make some nice fleet tractors. Any idea what changes would have to be made to the frame to backdate the Transtar II to a Transtar? Just to backdate the frame (if necessary), not to make it a single axle daycab.

The chassis has the same wheel base between Ertl Transtar CO4070A and the CO4070B Transtar II. The suspension changed from the air ride to a Hendrickson walking beam with the Transtar II. The engine also went to a turbocharged version with single exhaust.

The rumor is that the tool was altered to make the Transtar II but this has never been confirmed publicly by someone who has physically touched the tools.

That being said - if you compare a 4070A cab and the 4070B cab (original issue, not later reissue), the stampings for copy right, part numbers and mold marks are identical in both cabs.

The original Ertl #8000 was a better kit with fewer fit issued that the Transtar II suffered from.

Tim

To backdate...

1). Remove the lower cab panels. Fill in the door handle mounting location. Rework the square headlamp openings to round. Use round lamps from a 4300 or a Paystar. Move the wipers down below the windshield. Lower the cab mounts to bring the cab down.. or built it as a co4090 and leave the filler panels under the cab, where the step is under the nameplate, you'd fill that in with a small stirrup step. Remove the "II" from the nameplates. Make a 4070A style bumper. Change the aircleaner from the horizontal type to a vertical canister. Smaller grab handles. The instrument panel would need to be changed too.

Tim

This is true. And with that cab you can make some nice fleet tractors. Any idea what changes would have to be made to the frame to backdate the Transtar II to a Transtar? Just to backdate the frame (if necessary), not to make it a single axle daycab.

To backdate...

1). Remove the lower cab panels. Fill in the door handle mounting location. Rework the square headlamp openings to round. Use round lamps from a 4300 or a Paystar. Move the wipers down below the windshield. Lower the cab mounts to bring the cab down.. or built it as a co4090 and leave the filler panels under the cab, where the step is under the nameplate, you'd fill that in with a small stirrup step. Remove the "II" from the nameplates. Make a 4070A style bumper. Change the aircleaner from the horizontal type to a vertical canister. Smaller grab handles. The instrument panel would need to be changed too.

Tim

That's a lot more work than I'm up for. I'll just get Porky's cab. Assuming that they ever reissue the Transtar II.

I'll have to check the dimensions, but I'm pretty sure the Transtar II cab is too short in the BBC dimension. When IH brought out the II, they also lengthened the cab by 4 or 5 inches. I'll dig out my spec book and compare.

Ertl did not lenghten the cab.

The 1973 specs (transtar) I have show a 51" 74" and 84" cab. They also show cab raised 5" for Cummins VT903 NTC350 NTA370 and Detroit diesel 8v71T. Somewhere in the late 70s, 79 maybe they went to an 88" cab. Either way the the different wheelbases are clearly a myth. Hopefully Round 2 will bring either Transtar coe back. On a side note the 5" higher cab stayed permanently for the Transtar 2.

Did the cab enlarge or did just the BBC change? If they moved the bumper forward, that might account for the BBC? I'll have to go dig out the IH spec sheets..

The 1973 specs (transtar) I have show a 51" 74" and 84" cab. They also show cab raised 5" for Cummins VT903 NTC350 NTA370 and Detroit diesel 8v71T. Somewhere in the late 70s, 79 maybe they went to an 88" cab. Either way the the different wheelbases are clearly a myth. Hopefully Round 2 will bring either Transtar coe back. On a side note the 5" higher cab stayed permanently for the Transtar 2.

The hobby is different for each builder. Some builders have to build as accurate as they can. Another builder will build strictly box-stock, yet another will scratchbuild the entire model while another builder wires and plumbs the model. Another modeler will weather the model to look aged. It is all in how YOU want to build it. and the look you are attempting to capture. To quote the late Phil Jensen, "I build the model so the model looks good on my shelf and in front of the lens."

Model building is a form of art expression and is not an exact science.

Tim

Wow dont we get high tech here?? Isn't model building a hobby?? Does every build have to be to factory specs?? Cant one use their ability and imagination??After all we arent going to drive these plastic models down the interstate they are just for display and personal enjoyment!! Come on people lighten up really!!!

Wow all these truck engineers on here why arent they working for Peterbilt ,Mack or Kenworth they could be millionares Plastic model trucks would be petty change???? Makes you wander!! Wander if they even drove one?? Or they even know how to start one?? I doubt it they are still trying to master the plastic industry!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Craig,

I'm a little confused by your post and I agree with Tim's post above. This is a hobby and everyone is free to build the model as they see fit, either box stock or super detailed. Also being one of the few people on this forum that have actually driven both the 4070A and the Transtar II cabovers, for me it's neat to see that people enjoy this hobby enough that they like to research the prototype. Not really sure why you are coming down like a ton of bricks on these guys, maybe it's just the high temperatures? but I can tell you I personally enjoy reading posts like this one and how some of the guys not only enjoy building the models, but also researching their history, good stuff :)

Wow all these truck engineers on here why arent they working for Peterbilt ,Mack or Kenworth they could be millionares Plastic model trucks would be petty change???? Makes you wander!! Wander if they even drove one?? Or they even know how to start one?? I doubt it they are still trying to master the plastic industry!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow dont we get high tech here?? Isn't model building a hobby?? Does every build have to be to factory specs?? Cant one use their ability and imagination??After all we arent going to drive these plastic models down the interstate they are just for display and personal enjoyment!! Come on people lighten up really!!!

And exactly how are you contributing to this thread??????

Thank you for the info guys as I am in the process of back dating a Transtar 2 as we speak. So Craig, please refrain from pointless posts.

If you don't like what we're discussing, stop reading it and move on please. Its really simple.

I wish this board had an ignore button.

i have 2 of these transtars and loved the coe style to building them sometimes

dont know why but it has something

and what about the info keep it coming its intresting for everybody hoe wants make it original or strait out the box

and info if the possibility is there whit pictures [now alway,s looking on hank,s truckpictures] colours and stripes names etc

colours of engine,s ,interior etc

and some ideas from engineers came from this kind of people [talkin and sharing the ideas how do you makin that ore etc]

and the really know how it starts and drive don,t you whorry about that

and some of the guy,s there fathers ore uncle,s and family workin in that sector

i have said enough by now

keep up the good work and story,s

jacobus