Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Subaru BRZ

Bennyg

Hi fellas, just started a tamiya Subaru BRZ. I have only painted the tail lights so far and prepared most of the body for undercoat. The kit is good and the parts are dry fitting well. I would have

Iked the engine to be separate but it appears to be similar to the Aston martin from tamiya. The reason I haven't completed anymore paint is the weather turned moist. Plan to build this box stock. Will post progress shots when the weather goes good again.

Of note, Australia only got 203 cars, 2 were crash tested, about 50 went to dealerships as demos only and the rest sold out in 3 hours. My wife and mum is going to look at a demo for me this weekend. If the kids can fit I might be getting a real one. I don't like my chances, I dare say he xt forester will be hanging around. Cheers

Ben

Not to high jack this thread, but here is my plan for the FT 86

t1-1.jpg

Nice. I hope more people get into building the 86 and BRZ.

G'day Ben. Got this a couple of weeks ago but it's way down on the build list. It is a great kit! Planning on a mostly stock build but adding bigger wheels. Did you know Aoshima's 86 will have full engine detail? It should be available in Sept'.

I was looking at getting, or at least test driving the BRZ, but before you could blink they were spoken for! Da*n! No wife or kids to stop me buying 1 either!! I'm a current Sooby owner too! Might have to go to the dark side & check out its twin....

Cheers Dan

My wife's been great about it, but practicality rules the day..... Unfortunately. Ha ha

Ben

Martin, bad news mate, both the 86 & Aventador have been pushed back to September. Not so bad ;-)

Cheers Dan.

I see that now, I have both of those as well as the R35 on pre order , well , looks like I have more time to make sure I have the money for them now :lol:

Hi Fellas, one small update. I have finished the wheels and undercoated the body. The wheels were done by stripping the chrome and painting them semi gloss black. I used a chrome silver marking pen to do the machined faces of the rims/wheels. Hope you like it. Cheers

Ben

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

Wheels look great, I am going to have to try that, what type of pen did you use?

Hi mate, glad ou like. The pen is an Artline calligraphy pen, silver in colour. The silver is a good match for the machined faces on the wheels/rims. Cheers

Ben

I had a similar problem trying to replicate a more stock appearance for the wheels on my Aston DBS & came up with a better solution, other than using the marker-pen method. It worked to great effect & alot of guys asked me how I did it so I thought I'd share it here, because I plan on doing it to my BRZ's wheels when I get onto building it.

All I did was use some BMF, using a cue-tip, to burnish down over the face of the wheel & spray Matt-black from behind.... Like so...

28aeec8d.jpg

This was the result...

5458fb47.jpg

Cheers Dan

I like your method Danny. I chose the other method due to multicoloured spokes. Cheers

Ben

Hi Danny, I considered your method but chose the other way due to the multicoloured spo

Hiya Ben,

Definitely will be adding this new Tamiya kit to my collection - been awhile since I used TS-50 Mica Blue!

Wheels turned out great and just for reference, Tamiya offers another solution on their website for applying the black- scroll to the bottom: http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/24323toyota86/index.htm

Looking forward to seeing more of this build - keep it up!

pL

Hiya Ben,

Definitely will be adding this new Tamiya kit to my collection - been awhile since I used TS-50 Mica Blue!

Wheels turned out great and just for reference, Tamiya offers another solution on their website for applying the black- scroll to the bottom: http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/24323toyota86/index.htm

Looking forward to seeing more of this build - keep it up!

Thanks for the tip. I will probably use bat method if I do another one. You will see more progress next week. I'm flat tac at he moment.

Ben

pL

Hi fellas. I just test drove a Subaru BRZ today. I'm in love. Great inspiration for when I get home. I want one but when the kids start growing we will have dramas fitting them in. The kids love it and the wife loves it. My wife and I both have foresters. I have an xt and she has a diesel. I reckon her car should be the family car and I should get one. We will see. At leati have the model for now. Cheers

Ben