Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hotwheels 1965 Cyclone - pics fixed

Maindrian Pace

As a break from model building, I like to customize a Hot Wheels every so often. When the '65 Cyclone drag car came out, I thought, "Hey, the wheelbase isn't altered, (much) so it should be relatively simple to make this into a factory stock car.

Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 12.23.03 PM.png

Well, the short list included filling the blower hole and re-sculpting the hood scoops, reducing the size of the rear wheel wells by adding styrene to the front edges, making a new chassis plate out of sheet styrene, removing the roll bar, and lightly bead blasting the interior to take paint.

Paint is factory '65 Comet Ocean Turquoise, Sherwin Williams base/clear, with white interior, foiled trim and headlights, taillights and turn signals detailed with Tamiya clear paints, and wheels from a particularly ugly flat grey 'Cuda convertible found at the grocery store.

PB200156.jpg

PB200157.jpg

PB200153.jpg

PB200148.jpg

Edited by Maindrian Pace
Pic fix

• 5 years later...

Nice.  I love to see detail painted and modified HWs and MBs and other 1/64s.  So much more avilable there than in plastic now.  How many times can I build these reissues?  But can get new 1/64s in all sorts of stuff that isn't in plastic.