Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 Ford Sedan/Delivery

crazyjim

Very nice, Jim! This is one of my favorite cars & kits of all time. It looks like you've done lotsa little extras. l like the hatch style opening 3rd door. & the exhaust is way cool. are the benches(?) for more tire clearance? Nice underhood detail! Could that be a Nailhead in there? lt's powerful awesome all around. & SO SHINY!!! Bart.

Unfortunately, the runs are there, Glenn. Low on both sides of the body in front of the rear fenders as they go into the running boards. But thank you.

Thanks, Bart. The exhaust comes out the kit manifolds and then it's aluminum tubing in several sizes all the way back. The benches are for inside storage so stuff wouldn't be rolling around when driving. I thought about trying to hinge them, but there's not much room inside. Yup - Buick nailhead. I think I sent you one that I casted. Can't see them in the pics, but there's 3 rails from Evergreen on the roof and an attempt at elongated starbursts between the chrome strip roof. They're subtle. And yes - SHINY :) :) :) RULES!

Thanks Tom. I like the lines of the '40s too. That's probably why I have 3 or 4 more in my stash. It is without a doubt a Buick nailhead engine. I cast the kit engine and is available from Crazy Scale Auto Parts (I couldn't resist the plug, sorry).

Thank you, George. It's much easier to hinge the door up rather than to the side. What I'd like to try one one of these S/D kits is split the rear door so the bottom hinges down and top hinges up. Like an older station wagon.

Hey Jim, that '40 is really nice. An easy and effective way to fix those runs is to grind 'em out, leaving the surrounding areas kinda rough and applying one of several commercially available rusting compounds to give it that "well used" look. :) :) :)

Thank you, Slusher.

Thanks, Chuck. I sanded the runs down as much as I dared and them went through a small area and touched it up. I don't do rust.

Go for it, Shane. '40s are nice looking cars. And thank you.

Thanks, Rob. I'll try to get a pic of the roof, Rob. All I did was add .020" Evergreen strips, 1/4" in the center and 1/8" on either side. They were painted black and then the kandy over it.

Thanks, Ray.

Thanks, Doc. I love the HOK paints. This '40 was in Plastikote grey primer. I masked everything except the roof slats (Evergreen strip) and sides/rear from the chrome strip up to the roof - followed the drip rail around. The slats went black and the sides/rear got a mixture of light & heavy starbursts and fogged the top & bottom lines in black. I pulled off all the tape and shot the teal kandy. I'm just trying to duplicate some of the tricks that Fatkidd showed me. It's not going that well for me but I'll keep on trying.

Jim, I love the taillight treatment and the rear door. That solved the problem of the lousy fit! I built one of these last year using the same color in Testors lacquer. I shaved off all of the trim and added a sunvisor, side mirrors from Modelhaus and scratch built side pipes. It was built as a "curb side" model and given as a gift to my Doctor. I would post a few photos, but I made a billboard type sign for both sides of the vehicle using his name and...well. He probably wouldn't want it out on the net. Anyway, you did a gourgeous job on this. Really nice!

Thank you Grumpa. Those are just some '59 Caddy taillights I casted. Drilled the fenders, glued in some Evergreen tubing, and put a BMF'd plate behind for something to glue the lenses to. Maybe the Doc wouldn't mind. I'd love to see pics.

And thank you, Bob. I think this is the first build I've ever used trim rings and small hubcaps. I'm usually a chrome wheel person.

I think this is the first build I've ever used trim rings and small hubcaps.

It's a cool look, especially on a car like this. Something about the body style just works well with a wheel treatment like this. PT Cruisers also look very cool with this same wheel treatment.

Nice looking Delivery. Glad you didn't let the paint issues stop you from completing the build. I have a 32 5 window that was painted 3 times and I finally decided to finish it anyway. The good side doesn't look to bad sitting in the back of the display case!