Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 Ford Sedan/Delivery

crazyjim

Good call on colour choices , and on the Buick Nailhead (!) . Great job , mon frier !

I've always truly admired the '39 / '40 Ford ; the flowing lines , the greenhouse , the grille(s) , and just their overall look .

I built one of these excellent kits back 2004 . I remember how impressed I was with its parts fitment and general ease of construction.

I was originally going to build it with the Buick Nailhead ( one of my top ten favourite engines ! ) and dropped front end , along with custom wheels / tyres .

For whatever reason , I could not decide on a colour for my '40 ! I was ready to go with a 2-tone scheme (black fenders / German Silver body) when my mother saw the kit and said , " Your grandfather had one of these ; his first brand new car . It was an Avacado Green [colour] with tan interior . It was his work vehicle and our family car . We'd [the kids] would ride around in the back of it ; didn't have to worry about seat belts back [in the 40's] . "

Right then and there , I knew that I had to change my direction , and build it as a stock Sedan Delivery !

I did decide to keep the dropped front axle , as the stock ride height looked too radical to me.

I hope that Round2 will do a "Retro" release of this gem ...

Looks nice. Like the old school custom effects. If you are having trouble with runs, that tends to be an air pressure issue-the fix is to crank up the air pressure and open the fan control all the way. the fluid needle should only be backed out one and a half turns, 2 full turns for very high solids clear(assuming you are using a gun made within the last 10 years).. If you are using an airbrush to apply clear-that's your number one problem. If you don't have access to a nice mini gun(sata, devilbiss) or even a fullsize gun, head over to harbor freight and pick yourself up a gravity feed touch up gun with a 1.0-1.2 tip, as well as a regulator. If you are trying to use an airbrush type compressor(with no reserve tank) you will NEVER have enough air supply/pressure to lay down a smooth clear-job. You can always lay it on and polish it, but in the paint world there is an old adage-paint it like you're not going to polish it. I'm not trying to be a know it all, but I've been a professional custom painter for over twenty years, and have been airbrushing for twenty-five years. Hope this helps!

Thanks, Marty.

Thank you, John. I like the kit. I've a couple so far and there's a couple more in the stash. Stock or modified - just build it.

You can't see the runs in the pics, Steve. I sanded them pretty good, but I know they're there. Glad you like it.

Hey al. Thank you. I bought a jamb gun from Harbor Freight just for the 2 part clear. I believe I have it pretty well dialed in now. The '69 Barracuda I shot last week looked nice and smooth with no runs or sags. I'm shooting at 25 psi and adjusted the material flow. I sure appreciate your comments.