Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell/Monogram 1/25 '29 Ford Rat Rod 3'n1?

revell_ratrod-boxtop.jpg

Anyone bought/built this kit before?

It's a 3 'n 1 Model T Hot Rod kit - comes with multiple engines, rims, etc.

I want it because it's a Pick-up body - with rails designed for pick-ups.

So - has anyone bought this kit, found any issues, and moreover, has anyone purchased from Modelroundup outside of the US?

Really nicely detailed kit, especially when you consider its from the early '60's. The suspension can be a bit fiddly because of the delicate parts, but it's nothing that can't be overcome. Really the only way to improve it would be to add some different headlights with clear lenses. It does seem pricey at $33, though- the 'Goodguys' issue is the same as this other than the decals and I see those all the time for less than $20.

No idea about Model Roundup, but I'm sure somebody else can chime in with that info. B)

Yeah - they have the 2012 release on there too.

Same thing - but re-toolled.

It's half the price.

lolwut?

I guess because it's an "older" kit it's worth more.. haha.

EDIT: Yeah the kit Austin just posted the link to.

Bit weird huh? Same thing... 14 bucks less?

Edited by IronMunkie

The current/recently reissued kit appears to be he same as the last reissue under the "Goodguys" series, but with new decals and now marketed under the Monogram name.

85-4932-lg.jpg

Edited by Casey

It is a VERY nice kit, even if it is an old one! The pickup body is a bit fragile, as it has opening doors, and the Cab body has a separate roof and doors, but it's no problem to build, an it comes out nice with just a bit of patience. You'll like it. :D;)

I picked up the Goodguys issus a few years ago, but the wide whitewalls and steelies were too small at 14" in diameter for my needs, so I never got any further into it. Here are pics of the wheels, tires, and decal sheet from the Goodguys version, as well as a pic of the original(?) issue from Revell:

revell29fordpickup3n1decals.jpg

Revell29FordModelAPickup.jpg

Edited by Casey

I had 3 A V8 ( two with flatheads , and one with a nailhead Buick engine from The Parts Box) all built from the AMT 29 Roadster Kit , with the Traditional 32 Ford Frame from R&M O M, and the suspension parts frrom the 29 Rat Rod Kit, I also use the same Frame and Suspension combo on 3 32 Fords (a chopped five Window w/ a Dodge 331HEMI w/four 97's,a Roadster w/The Engine from the Revell 40 Ford Standard Coupe w/ aftermarket heads, 2 dueces, etc., and The ARDUN Powered 3 window that I had been posting build pictures of.).

The 29 Rat Rod is a Gold mine of Kit Bashing Parts, and I have also Built the Closed Cab Pickup from the kit with aftermarket detail added. My verdict is that it is a Great Kit!

I have bought several kits from Model Round up, and they are a good Company to deal with!

Thanks guys. :-)

Anyone know anywhere in OZ I can grab it? haha...

30 bucks shipping is not appealing - especially when on a budget.

Those rods look really good.

The only issue I am facing is the Square shape of the Bucket I have never been a big fan of and I'm wondering how hard it';d be to mix a Chevy AK Cab that's been Chopped into the mix?

$33.00 bucks !!! ? WOW !!! I have three of them and never paid over $22.00 for any of them. One I think I got for $18.00. Sorry Chuck but I think you might want to look somewhere else for a better price. Did that price include shipping charges?

I have the Goodguys version and I think it's a great kit for anyone who's into hot rod pickups.

Mine didn't have "multiple engines", but it did have multiple accessory options for the engine, like the carbs and exhaust. Not sure if you're referring to multiple full engines or just the options.

As others have mentioned, it's probably better to buy the version of this kit that just came out since its common and a lot cheaper than the older version.

Hope this somehow helped :)

As it says above. Dated, fiddley, chrome headlight lenses, banger powered but a great kit if you know what you are getting (has to be continuously selling or they wouldn't have kept it in their line up for so long) - don't expect it to be made like a newly engineered Revell kit.

Luke at Early Models Kits has one on his webshop.

$37 for the kit but postage will be real rather than stupid and you can rely on Luke to get it to you.

Or, get it from him through Evil-bay and pay less.

Or, Frontline Hobbies also has one (where exactly are you up there North of the border? close enough to drive to get it?). I've not bought kits from them but they post paint quickly.

I've ordered off Model Roundup in the past and never had an issue though their new shipping calculator has put me off dealing with them recently.

These days I mainly deal with Plastic models or Model Express. its never economic to get just one kit shipped though. Getting three kits for example isn't three times dearer. its all to do with size and

weight of the package and since the kits weigh very little adding extra kits to the box will only add a few $ to the cost.

Since we're on the subject, I nearly ordered from ModelRoundup a couple times, but decided not to after seeing their shipping calculator nearly double the price of my orders.

When I shop online, I usually go with JimnOhio. He has a decent selection, but his prices are very good. Have been buying from him for more than a year with no problems. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys - it's the new kit tooling that comes with the multiple engine options I think.

Doesn't matter.

I have two Hemi long blocks and two 440 long blocks, and 1 351 long block, 1 302 long block, 1350 long block, and one 427 long block.

And a few rocker covers, some carbies, and a heap of air cleaners, (Just no trumpets.. I'll just make them.)

So engine options aren't really an issue for me... lol.

Want it because A: It's a hot rod. and B: because it's a pickup.

I had 3 A V8 ( two with flatheads , and one with a nailhead Buick engine from The Parts Box) all built from the AMT 29 Roadster Kit , with the Traditional 32 Ford Frame from R&M O M, and the suspension parts frrom the 29 Rat Rod Kit, I also use the same Frame and Suspension combo on 3 32 Fords (a chopped five Window w/ a Dodge 331HEMI w/four 97's,a Roadster w/The Engine from the Revell 40 Ford Standard Coupe w/ aftermarket heads, 2 dueces, etc., and The ARDUN Powered 3 window that I had been posting build pictures of.).

The 29 Rat Rod is a Gold mine of Kit Bashing Parts, and I have also Built the Closed Cab Pickup from the kit with aftermarket detail added. My verdict is that it is a Great Kit!

I have bought several kits from Model Round up, and they are a good Company to deal with!

When are we going to see that AMT "A" roadster again ?

$(KGrHqN,!n0E-vzYJ5UPBP4QLrorpw~~60_57.JPG

Thanks guys - it's the new kit tooling that comes with the multiple engine options I think.

It's pretty much a straight reissue of the Goodguys kit, with a different box and decals. The only retooling that's been done was the correction of the rear window of the closed cab, which was done for the Goodguys release. There are "multiple engine options" if you count the hop up parts for the 4 banger, but there is only 1 complete engine.

Bill mentioned the hop up parts and shared tooling for the this and the '31 A, but just to clarify- the '29 A comes with a Winfield head, while the '31 2-door has a Riley (going by memory here) F-head conversion. The balance of the engine parts are the same though- two carb manifold with separate Stromberg carbs (with the air cleaners molded in place) and a very nice sweept-back header. The stock engine parts are included as well.

I meant to mention which parts were in which kit, but I couldn't recall exactly what hop up parts were in their respective kits other than the OHV/F head conversion in the sedan/woodie and the L head in the truck. I have checked all 3 kits, the pickup does have a Winfeild head, and the Sedan/Woodie is a Riley. Both also have an Ansen side cover.