Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford Roadster Drag Devil

Hi everyone, this is the Monogram (you know the ugly kits in the flat boxes) 32 Drag Devil. I tried to build it box stock but there were some annoying things that just needed fixing so I tried to find a happy medium, see if you can spot the changes.

DSCF2949-1.jpg

DSCF2953.jpg

DSCF2951.jpg

DSCF2952.jpg

DSCF2954.jpg

Absolutely beautiful job on this completely obsolete kit, by far the nicest build of this I've ever seen. I notice the spun alloy moon discs, the rear knockoffs, better taillights I think, a filled grille insert (instead of the ribbed kit part) , tubing headers ( the right number too, 3 instead of 4 per side) and carb stacks, a push bar and it looks like a rolled rear pan. Plus of course plug wires and much better rad hoses coming out the center of the heads. What am I missing?

Beautiful job on filling the body seams too, the paint, and on making the hard-plastic two piece-tires look tread-worn.

This shows conclusively that a careful builder with an eye for detail can make an outstandingly attractive model from the simplest of kits. Great work.

PS....nice job on the taped headlights too, instead of the kit decals.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Absolutely beautiful job on this completely obsolete kit, by far the nicest build of this I've ever seen. I notice the spun alloy moon discs, the rear knockoffs, better taillights I think, a filled grille insert (instead of the ribbed kit part) , tubing headers ( the right number too, 3 instead of 4 per side) and carb stacks, a push bar and it looks like a rolled rear pan. Plus of course plug wires and much better rad hoses coming out the center of the heads. What am I missing?

Beautiful job on filling the body seams too, the paint, and on making the hard-plastic two piece-tires look tread-worn.

This shows conclusively that a careful builder with an eye for detail can make an outstandingly attractive model from the simplest of kits. Great work.

PS....nice job on the taped headlights too, instead of the kit decals.

Thanks for the kind compliments guys. William you pretty much nailed it with the exception of non-kit cylinder heads. These came from all things a 1/18 scale model and they sorta looked reasonably right given these Monogram kits were probably more 1/20 scale(ish)