Model Cars Magazine Forum

Age restriction or discrimination

I won't tell you to enjoy being 16, others have and they are right. In regards to the car insurance, we are in the same boat as you with my 18 year old son. We bought a $600 car and the first year the insurance in NC was $1600! We were able to get by a little cheaper by having him as the secondary driver of the car, that saved us $600 year, you may want to look into who is listed as the primary driver and how it is insured (liability only).

Take a driving course if that helps the rates, be careful of how you drive, and be smart and don't cave in to peer pressure to drive fast or reckless!

I'm 18 mate.

If you get on well with the local Hobby retailer, and they know how you build, and how much you fork into models they might be lenient.

With a 500 dollar car I'd only go third party property fire and theft - instead of full comprehensive.

Between the age 16 and 18 there's no difference man.

Adults still treat you like kids.

The only people who will treat you fair are the Army. (seriously)

You're old enough to be sent to boot camp/kapooka/wherever.

Then when you're 17 you're old enough to be sent over seas but still not old enough to drink.

That's the way the world works.

It sucks mate, but hold out, in the next 2 years you can not only start an apprenticeship, but you can either complete school - or drop out and become part of the workforce. (I chose the latter because I don't wanna be a Nuclear Physicist, or a Botantist, or a Teacher like my Parents and Grandparents.. Go figure.)

But I'm going to uni, might study a heap of random I'll never use to show on my Resume.

OH.

AND.

You don't have to Vote yet.

As soon as I turned 18 I was splashed with bills, voting info, credit cards.

Everything you get hit with when you turn 18.

So enjoy the next two years as much as possible hey?

Life is never completely fair, and you can sit back and laugh at the idiots that treat you like a 12 year-old - because they haven't had to put up with what you had to.

Probably all delinquents, scholars, or egotists.

Your friends know who you are - and that was always good enough for me.

Edited by Harry P.
Profanity

Don't feel bad about the cost of insurance...I'm 41 and have a commendable driving record, but here we have ONE government insurance corporation with no other options. My motorcycle alone costs $2346 a year, and here in Manitoba our riding weather lasts from late May to late September if we have a good year. (Figure out THAT cost per month !) As far as age discrimination goes- hang on to your youth and all that goes with it. Before too long the reverse will take over and you will soon be tired of the younger people calling you the "Old Guy". Just be yourself and be happy doing your honest best despite the others in your way...age doesn't make the man, character does--if you can display character despite obstacles, I think you're well on your way! I felt your pain once, but believe me when I say that it gets better eventually.

(PS- I'm a huge fan of The Who, but Daltrey was wrong when he said "I hope I die before I get old.")

We've all been there. In 1990, I bought a new, stripped-down Nissan pickup. The only option I got was air conditioning. No tach, stereo, or even rear bumper. My payment was $182 a month. Insurance was $242 a month. I'm 43 now. I just bought a 1986 Ranger and insurance is $364 a year, but I'd kill to be 16 again.

Austin; That's just the assigned risk category you fall into by age....but in time it passes; My own daughter didn't start driving until she was 21....YES 21! And it was just as bad, even though she was an adult. In this day and age insurance is a necessary evil, so you just have to bear with it.

As A side note; I will say when I met Austin in Cookeville; He was one of the most level headed and mature young people (not kid) I have met in a long time. He has a great dad; and they do alot together; it's awesome. He builds great models for his age and experience level; and I am certain that he will continue to grow into a fantastic adult modeler in the future. Chin-up dude; it will all pan out.............Matt Burnet

I know I have brought this up before in the past,but I was somewhat childish about it.Now I want to talk about it like the mature person I am.

As many of you know I recently turned 16 in May,this is one of the greatest years of my life so far,but I am still being treated like a irresponsible child almost because of the word "Sixteen".I got my drivers licencee and have been mowing yards around the neighborhood to save up for a first car for the upcoming school year,just part of every teenage boys dream.I got a quote from several insurance companies and to insure a $500 car,for one year it would be $2,500!.That's more then five times the value of the car!This is on my parents plan without and accidents or traffic violations.Also I recently tried to enter a contest with round2 to win a signed drag racing helmet (That I probably wasn't going to win,might as well try right?),and it said I had to be 18 years or older to enter.I know round2 doesn't know how much I have spent on their products,but I've been a loyal customer for years.And this next one makes me fell bad,I almost had a ride to the Nationals in Florida this August with a club member and his friend,but his friend said he didn't want to bring a kid along.And lastly don't even get me started on spray paint.

Sorry about the rant,just had to vent.Do any other modelers out there my age feel held back?

Austin!

Trust me, back in 1960, when I first got my drivers' license, I felt discriminated against, due to insurance. But the simple fact is: Teenage drivers have more accidents, due both to a lack of maturity (I can relate to that looking back even though I have never had a chargeable traffic accident), and lack of experience. Trust me, both tend to go away with age, but bear in mind that insurance companies deal daily with risk, and where the risk is higher, the rates for insurance are higher. Chill out, buddy, you will see that go away as you grow older! (and no, it's not a matter of illegal discrimination!)

Art Anderson

I'm just a few months shy of 50 and wonder just what 16 is like. I was going to school full time and then doing a 4-6 hour shift stocking shelves at a local store almost every day from the time I was 14. I was also cutting lawns and washing cars to make money so that by the time I was old enough to drive I could afford a car and insurance... Then when I was almost 18, I became a father. Don't get me wrong, I love my daughter (and her two siblings), but having a child means the end of anything resembling being a teenager. Be patient, my friend. You sound like you're a responsible young man, but easily frustrated. Hang in there - things will get better.

I thought about being 16 again, then realized I could not servive that twice!

Ditto that James! That was one age I could NEVER want to repeat again! I don't want to spell things out here...........but a LOT of negative things were going on in family life for me back then. I was that age when I was becoming a senior in high school........I had moved THREE TIMES due to family turmoil and its a wonder I graduated at the end of the school year!

Needless to say, I'll be 51 in October and I'm glad to be the age I am now with no regrets! ;)

Oh, to be 16 again!! As I approach the ripe old age of 60, I do reminisce about the days gone by and the mistakes and positives that I have made. Austin, I hope you can understand that by being 16 years old, you are an inexperienced driver and the liabilities that come with being so young and inexperienced are enormous, even with a cheap motor vehicle. A cheap motor vehicle can and will cause just as much damage as a new vehicle can, so the cost of insurance is greater than someone with much experience You will make mistakes as you grow older and hopefully, you'll learn from those mistakes. Also, take note of the mistakes made by others. You can learn from them, too. It is unfortunate that many young people view getting a drivers license as a necessity instead of a privilege.

Be patient and in time, things will equal out.

Can't wait to turn 16. Done and gone waiting to turn 18. Maybe 21 will be the magic age. 30, 40, 50, 60. Retirement and Social Security. I turn 65 in January. Where did the time go? There's one constant in all that time - I've been building model cars for 54 years. Enjoy the living heck out of your youth. It doesn't last forever.

Hey Austin, you're gonna be fine. There are bummers in life at any age as you've read above. lf you don't get past that, life will be.......a bummer!! Life ain't fair dude. But then life ain't fair for most folks, which makes it kinda fair! Bart.

One thing is for sure. If I was a juvenile today, I'd be a career criminal by age 17. Just by doing the very same things I did when I was 16-17 and got away with because they were perfectly legal back then. Well, not all of them. Errr... actually, most of them weren't, but let's presume they were. However, one wasn't nearways as criminalised for minor offenses back then as one is nowadays, and there wasn't nearways such a nanny state in place.

Austin, I can only tell you what my father keeps telling me:

"Every generation has to make its own revolution."

Edited by Junkman

Austin, I used to feel the exact same way as you do about age restrictions being annoying/aggravating but I've realized that if you show people that you're not just an immature teenager, you will be amazed at where you end up (for example I started going to work with my dad during the past few summers learning bodywork and paint, and now I have a job building hot rods and muscle cars)

Harry said it the best.I know it sucks to be sixteen....but it sucks real bad after 40 and it keeps get worst the older you get.I would give anything to go back to sixteen again,but I would still make the same mistakes I did the first time.....enjoy your age...please don't try to growup to fast cause when your 50 years old,it will look different to you then it does now.having a young body and mind is the greatest.wisdom is good to.which is what us old people are suppose to have.but I feel like the world biggest dumbell at my age.the only think I know right now...is I don't know.being old is not fun...believe us...its no fun.Thanks,Chris