Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 1/2 Mustang (yes that's right 1/2)

I am so exited!!! I read about the 1968 1/2 Mustang 428 Cobra Jet today and I remembered there is a 1968 Mustang unrestored across the road from my school. The Cobra Jets were the only Mustang with a hood scoop for that model year and that Mustang across from my school has a hood scoop. I am thinking that might be a Cobra Jet :blink: . I don't have pictures. It anyone has any information about the cosmetic differences in the Cobra Jet and GT could you share them with me? :excited:

Does it have the big block engine ? Color is not a tell tale sign of a 44 year old car , the numbers do not lie . If you can lift the hood that will tell you more. Even if it has no engine a clean 68 stang is worth a good look. I hope you find what you are lookig for and that it is for sale. I love my 2002 GT but a 68 would be better in my eyes.

Best thing to do,, is get the numbers off the mustang,,and check them out,,it the only sure why to Know...

You cannt count on whats on the outside,, Check the Numbers

I can buy all the parts you need and make any 68 look like one,, Thats why ya need to check the numbers,,

Edited by rel14

I have not been to the guys house but I hope to soon. I know some people that know him. I don't know if it's for sale but our stupid mayor passed a law that states if a non running car is left on a property for more than 5 days it will be impounded (that's how stupid our mayor is) it has been sitting there for as long as I can remember.

Go to the bloke.

If it's for sale check all these places:

Sills.

Rear floor pan.

Boot/trunk pan.

Front foot well.

Lower door inners.

Rear window surround.

Inner front frame rails.

Front radiator support.

All holes in the firewall.

And if only half of those show rust - you have a cleaner mustang than I have ever seen un-restored.

Edited by IronMunkie

Yea I know what to look for. We are restoring a '66 Coupe and most of the rust is on the rear quarter panels under the car. I know the roof is rusted some and one of the front fenders is too. It looks like the guy was rebuilding the motor because there were some heads sitting on the trunk and a crankshaft on the hood.