Model Cars Magazine Forum

Curbside gripe Revell Corvette C5R Daytona

jaydar

I will be starting this kit as soon as the photo etch and carbon fibet decals from SMS gets here.

I am considerably less than "Jonesed" by theengine anddrivetrain detail since i have discovered that the front section is not removable!

This is just acurbside kit with a lot ofextra parts!

Maybe i will put the engine on a stand next to the completed kit.

What a weird design for the kit.

Joe. Rant off

You can always open up the panels to show off the guts. All the cut lines are there to make all of the body come apart. The chassis is quite nicely detailed on the C5R, if it's the kit I'm thinking of, and I agree, it's a shame to cover all of that detail up with a one-piece body.

The really annoying ( to me) Revell racing Corvette is the C6R, with just a plenum and an "engine front" covering a molded-in chassis blob, though it can be a beauty too. At least IT has opening doors and hood.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

i have that c5r lemans kit and you know what? i never noticed that you would have to do surgery to see the detail they built in! it doesnt really matter in my case because i am going to attempt fitting a jimmy flintstone cadillac xlr onto the chassis and make it a street racer sort of deal. big plans...lets see how that goes! thanks for posting this, made me dig it out and check what you were saying to see if you were talking about the same kit!

$(KGrHqN,!ncE-)0Pu-DqBPvp!2hEM!~~60_1.JPG

• 1 month later...

A great kit with minor issues and one big one. The rear window has the fuel filler on the wrong side of the car for Daytona. Kinda hard to fix unless you go through the trouble to close the opening and then section it to vac form. When Revell measured the car, it was at Sebring where the pit is on the other side of the car.

Now what would be cool, is if Revell would update the C6R for the current ALMS GT version.....

i am still waiting for the full resin body from Historic Racing Miniatures. I have read that this could be a long wait.

the resin body has a removeable front clip and several other corrections to the Revell body. I just hope my Scale Motor Sports carbon fibre and photoetch fits the resin body.

joe.