Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why are kits so much money!?

It's tricky. How do you price a model kit so that your average consumer won't choke on the price, yet still make a profit while at the same time your consumer base is shrinking, not growing? Do you charge less per kit in the hope of selling more kits to fewer people and build sales volume that way... or do you charge more per kit because your consumer base is dwindling and you have to make more money per unit in order to survive? And if you go with the higher price business model, at what price point do you start actually killing sales?

Like I said, it's not that easy. I sure don't have the answer.

How about trying to expand the consumer base?

And when you Americans are done complaining about the price of kits, please remember that down here we're paying (on average - for Revell/AMT new releases), $40 a kit from a hobby shop - if you can find one.

Still a cheap hobby though.

ANY hobby can be 'as expensive' or 'as cheap' as YOU want it to be.

I have thousands of dollars invested in model kits and supplies , Could I ge tback out of them what I have invested????, I seriously doubt it.

My daughter is taking an interest in models with me and that alone is worth EVERY dime I have invested so far.

We finished her 1st glue kit a week or so ago, and it was one of the clear car trailer kits for her snap kit Polar Lights 65 Dodge in so she can put behind her snap kit Dodge ram pickup.

She is happy with it, so I am to.