Model Cars Magazine Forum

Orange Crate....32 ford....

Drgon63

BTW, doesn't the body lift off or tilt back on this kit ?

Yes the body can be removed or tilted up.... the pics just did not look right with it up.....not a whole bunch to see on the interior.....very bland inside....

Knowing the difficultes of this kit, you did one HE-double hockey sticks of a great job. Simply amazing workmanship! Is this an original, or the recent release?

This is the reissue......lives up to its level 3 ranking for sure...the flash on the chrome trees is rough at best... to do it 100% i would strip clean up the flash and re chrome or allclad.. but overall a very satisfying build despite its difficulties

Tom

I've built this kit and wonder why all the comments about how much of a pain it is? Not just here, but in general. I don't remember any particular problems with it. It all fit together just fine. So what is the great problem everyone else seems to be having with this kit? I mean, I realize it's a small kit, there are a lot of small parts... but I didn't have any particular problems. So why the reputation as a "difficult" kit?

I've built this kit and wonder why all the comments about how much of a pain it is? Not just here, but in general. I don't remember any particular problems with it. It all fit together just fine. So what is the great problem everyone else seems to be having with this kit? I mean, I realize it's a small kit, there are a lot of small parts... but I didn't have any particular problems. So why the reputation as a "difficult" kit?

Harry

The Orange Crate kit is overall a very rewarding kit to build but does have its share of difficulties, for the average builder or someone just starting in the hobby the problems arise mostly from the kits 1962 origins....strait from the box the kit is a challenge to get correct... here are some of the points i am referring to

-Chrome trees with excessive flash ( old tooling ) had a lot of flash if i remember correctly in the late 60s early 70s when i tried to build it as a kid

-Many parts not having positive mounting points (Frustrating)

-small parts on heavy mounting points on the trees ( very easy to damage parts even with a sprue cutter )

-heavy attachment points on visible areas of the chrome parts ( Strip, Cleanup and then re chrome or allclad would be recommended )

-Very Fragile parts (again with heavy attachment points )

-Old tooling trying to utilize as little space by molding parts to other parts such as parts using Chassis as a sprue

-Vague instruction sheet not always clear where to place part.

Overall it is a very satisfying build... I tried to build this kit as a kid and it found the wall because of some if not all of these points back then, Today however i have a lot more patience and tools available to build a replica of this very high profile, very cool and historic race/show car from the 60s... not impossible to build by no means.. but patience and perseverance to pay off...

Does it deserve the #3 skill rating....each of us build to our abilities and this kit i do believe can test some peoples abilities and frustrate others...

On a positive note ( yes not all bad...)

-The chopped 32 Tudor body is awesome

-The 417ci Oldsmobile engine with the front mounted Potvin supercharger and Hilborn Fuel injection is impressive and can be and probably will find its way into other projects

-The wheels and tire will definitely find their way onto other projects

*Just a Kool all around subject matter...*

Tom

Nice job on a very finicky kit. Having built this kit as a kid around '66 when the tooling was still somewhat new I remember it being a little bit difficult. Built one of the 70's issues, found it to be somewhat less difficult. The fit up issues especially with some of the smaller/thinner chromed parts are what makes this kit a challenge for some.

Nice job, man.

I just bought one of these (a re-issue)

I fancy having a crack at it, not only as I think it looks good, but also because it has a reputation for being less straightforward than some more modern kits.

You did it proud.