Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Tommy Ivo Showboat

Austin T

Very tough builds. I've seen some builds that were great. I attempted the Showboat twenty years ago and found the engine to be beyond my abilities due to SEVERE fit issues. Some day I'll attempt it again. Some day I'll also win the lottery......

Edited by iBorg

Mike's being honest, and I would agree with his comments. The 32 individual chrome plated exhaust pipes on the Showboat alone will make you question your sanity.

I built the '80s combo kit under the Hot Rod label, and would never build either one again. The parts fit wasn't great, the chrome plating was even worse, and neither one was enjoyable to build for me.

But have fun if you decide to get them! :lol:

Mike's being honest, and I would agree with his comments. The 32 individual chrome plated exhaust pipes on the Showboat alone will make you question your sanity.

I built the '80s combo kit under the Hot Rod label, and would never build either one again. The parts fit wasn't great, the chrome plating was even worse, and neither one was enjoyable to build for me.

But have fun if you decide to get them! :lol:

Well I got the HOT ROD pack off of ebay last night sealed,just waiting for it to arrive now.

I've bought several Showboats over the years for parts. There are 4 injected Buick nailheads, two big quick-change rear ends, and 4 M&H Racemaster slicks plus a bunch of other stuff for modifying.

The exhaust stacks don't have to be a problem....there is a fixture that comes in the kit to help with the assembly and alignment.

The kit is challenging but will build up beautifully with careful fitting.

I've bought several Showboats over the years for parts. There are 4 injected Buick nailheads, two big quick-change rear ends, and 4 M&H Racemaster slicks plus a bunch of other stuff for modifying.

Me too. The steering knuckles on the front axle are dead ringers for the knuckles on the Napco Chevy/GMC 4x4s and Dodge WM 300 Power Wagons.

The Ivo Showboat is a bear to assemble, but looks great when it's done. My older brother had the original issue, never completed it, told me I'd never get it built when I bought the HOT ROD double kit. The exhaust pipes aren't tough, the tough part (for me) was getting the engine mount pieces that are on the engines lined up with the corresponding parts that are molded as part of the chassis tubes. The small tank at the front (not sure if it's a fuel or oil tank) is molded in two pieces with a lot of taper that has to be filed away before the assembled tank fits.

Too, make sure the body panels are cleaned up on the inside (ejector pin marks), fit the frame, and meet one another without leaving gaps between them on either side. The Mickey Thompson Challenger I is supposedly easier, but I haven't gotten too far with that one.

I did pick up two of the SSP issue Showboat kits thinking I'd build an eight-engine version. You need parts from a third kit to couple the engines, which I have. Haven't gotten around to that one, though...

I built up this one from the Hot Rod issue more years ago than I care to remember. What Mark says covers all the same issues I ran in to. I did machine up a couple of bits and pieces and replaced the exhaust pipes and intakes with aluminum tube. It builds up in to a good replica of the original. The 1964 movie ' Bikini Beach ' as a great clip of the car in action.

IMG_27601.jpg

one name, john teresi. not only did he do the showboat car (or more than one) he also did the buick station wagon rebody funny car of a bit later. beautiful builds.

Yea I saw those and though man that would be a sweet model,then I found out it was.Curse you Mr.Teresi for making your models look so realistic!If I could compile a list of model people I want to meet in real life he would be 1st on the list.

wow ron that build looks sweet! you bent all those exhaust pipes? nice work for sure! i just got the hot rod edition given to me and i was looking at it and seeing yours makes me want to tackle it. i have the GMP 1/18 diecast and it came with a dvd with a lot of footage of the car including that bit from the beach movie. its some great resource for details.

I have a couple of them on the shelf for that someday project. At least one version of an IVO car on the shelf is a must have for vintage drag car fans . I have one of the 1320 diecast FED's on the shelf,,,, till I make an effort to do one of the 4 engine exibition cars. At some point I woud even like to do one of transporter trucks .

TV Tommy definitly made his mark and earned his place in NHRA history .

Got it in the mail today,pretty excited about it.Opened it up and "Whoa,that's A LOT of parts!" is the first thing that comes to mind.I will need to do something about the fuel injector pipes and the all the other chrome pipes.

• 2 years later...

I built that kit years ago but if i remember i took my time on it and had no trouble with it,sure looks good when finshed.my 2cents.

That really is the key to building this kit. Take your time. Use the fixtures that come in the kit to build the exhausts. Don't get in a hurry, and test-fit carefully as you go. These WILL build into gorgeous models.