Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Take on a '69 Nova

kalbert

Hi folks! I've been browsing around here for a long time, and building models for even longer. Don't build as many as I used to but still manage to do one now and then. There's some mighty fine modeling shown here, figured it was time to join and share some of my own stuff, though it's not as good!

Here's my take on Revell's '69 Nova. I started with the COPO kit, and added a vinyl top, slapper bars, shackles, and a few cables. I had originally wanted to use some slightly larger tires on the back, but the ones I ordered didn't show up in time for pictures.. Kind of looks goofy, a little too high in the back and those skinny tires look silly!

Nova_022.jpg

Nova_030.jpg

Nova_041.jpg

Nova_077.jpg

Nice slapper bars, Kyle, but they need longer snubbers. :D I like that you used hollow tubing, like the real ones.

The rear slicks in the '69 Nova kit are notoriously narrow, as you mentioned.

Welcome to the forum, too!

This Nova is positively SUPER !

That colour is right-on ; that vinyl top is perfect ; and that 375 hp 396 (L-78 ?) is sweet !

Looks like the kind of Boulevard Bruiser I used to see on Whittier Blvd when I was a wee lad , repleate with 5 gallons of Chevron Custom Supreme (the real stuff ; 105 octane !) .

Nice work !

Thanks for the complements! I like the color alot too, It's Testors Inca Gold Lacquer with a couple coats of clear. I debated going green or blue, but I'm glad I did gold. At the Car Craft show in St. Paul this weekend we saw a Nova in the burnout contest with skinny street tires on the back like this, I guess if anyone asks the slicks are back home in the garage and these are for smokin!

Thanks for the complements! I like the color alot too, It's Testors Inca Gold Lacquer with a couple coats of clear. I debated going green or blue, but I'm glad I did gold. At the Car Craft show in St. Paul this weekend we saw a Nova in the burnout contest with skinny street tires on the back like this, I guess if anyone asks the slicks are back home in the garage and these are for smokin!

...I would just say "The slicks are in the trunk for when I get to the Drags!" Nice looking Nova, brings back memories, I had a '69 bran-new! Edited by rmvw guy

• 8 months later...
I love how this turned out. Did Revell design this kit to have poseable steering or did you modify it?
No, but it was easy to modify. I dipped the ends of the a arms and spindles in warm water and twisted them around until it looked about right.