Model Cars Magazine Forum

The trucks that built Boulder Dam

I've been to Hoover Dam as well and had the tour down iside. It's quite an experience. The two 30' diameter overflw drops on each side are really something. I's hate to ever fall in one! We got to walk inside the original diversion tunels that were dug out of the canyon walls to get the Colorado River water way from the actual dam area so that they could do the base excavation. In the meantime work continues on this build. The side screens for the hood were finally fit in place, the steering column and box are set and the drag link and steering arm are now connected. There is a small protective shield over the radiator cap also. Next is to detail the fishplate with some bolt heads. Then probably the engine will get some detailing.

059-2.jpg

061-1.jpg

060-2.jpg

I have respect for people who can make something out of very basic material. This is great work! By the way those chain drives are incredible!

The delrin chain and sprockets are easy to come by. They are a bit large for most uses but fit right in here because the trucks were so beefy. The chain can be made any length just by adding or taking out links.

Excellent scratchbuilding going on here, just damned excellent.

But you got a bit of a problem by posting your masterpiece on here, how are all the others on this forum, EVER going to match what your doing, or for that matter, even come close ?

Psst, looks much better than 50 peterbuilts in a row, now don't it.

Edited by mardtrp

Excellent scratchbuilding going on here, just damned excellent.

But you got a bit of a problem by posting your masterpiece on here, how are all the others on this forum, EVER going to match what your doing, or for that matter, even come close ?

Psst, looks much better than 50 peterbuilts in a row, now don't it.

Not lookin' to show anybody up. I just like old trucks. There is something about their openness that shows all of that beefy working iron that I like. When they don't make them in kit form what's a guy to do?? 8^))

Here's a bit more progress. First pic shows an actual Boulder Dam being loaded with rock. Second pic shows the hoisting mechanism that was used on the first series of AP.s They underwent some changes during the time they were at Boulder and later on at two other dam projects. Third pic shows how beefy the undercarriage and body are.

069-2.jpg

070-2.jpg

073-1.jpg

We got the information we were looking for from the Mack Museum today and it looks like we are going to have to repaint the wheels. Documentary evidence says they were dark green. Anyway, here is a breakdown of the parts so far for the AP dump truck. There are plenty of "widgets" to be added once the painting is done for what you see here. The entire frame, cab and hood are to be Mack dark green. Accents will be included but will be mostly subtle like drybrushing to bring out highlights and the use of powders. We'll also show some caked on red dirt in the tire treads.

074-2.jpg

That looks fantastic!

I'm wondering where you got those front tires. I know you mentioned that the rears are resin, and the front wheels are from a Mack R model, but if the source for the front tires was named, I missed it. :D

Front tires are resin castings also. When I did the 1928 Pierce Arrow I made a master of the diamond tread tires for the rears. They seemed appropriate for the fronts on the AP since their tires were a similar diamond pattern. Tom Coolidge of Denver, CO cast them for me.

You wouldn't kit the cab for me would ya and other parts?

I could tell you how I did the cab and all and give you some basic drawings. That's about it. (What sort of parts?) Here is a pic of the whole thing in paint. Plenty of detailing yet to go.

078-3.jpg

Edited by Chariots of Fire