Model Cars Magazine Forum

The trucks that built Boulder Dam

Front tires are resin castings also. When I did the 1928 Pierce Arrow I made a master of the diamond tread tires for the rears. They seemed appropriate for the fronts on the AP since their tires were a similar diamond pattern. Tom Coolidge of Denver, CO cast them for me.

Thanks for the info, Charlie! They look great on the Mack.

Just an update on progress so far. It's not quite finished but it's close. The driver's crow's nest has been added and the Winslow air cleaner is now on the right side. The seat and dash are now glued in place. Still to add are some mud guards and fender braces and a brace for the crow's nest underneath.

094-2.jpg

095-1.jpg

098-1.jpg

Once the construction is finished it will be slightly weathered with pastels to show the reddish rock dust of the Boulder Dam area.

Wonderful work! anything Mack always gets my attention,i have often contemplated this project myself,but do not posess the scratchbuilding talent of most on this forum! you have captured the look of the "real" truck just about perfectly! thanks for posting the in progress photos,as it has given me some ideas!..............................Mark

Well my half is done. Now when Jeff Harper gets his done we will have two for display. His will have two cement aggitators on the back (small cement mixers) that were used on the Boulder Dam project. Here's what the dump looks like with some dirt and grime on the body.

109-1.jpg

108-2.jpg

106-1.jpg

105.jpg

This has been a fun project and it's going to be even better when the mixer version is part of it. We plan on setting both up on a small base of that red rock that lines the canyon walls.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing better would be if you take the model to Boulder Dam and take pics of it there. :)

You've really done some fantastic, inspiring work here, and should be incredibly proud of how it turned out. :wub:

A bit of a haul, Casey! We will be showing the trucks on a small diorama once Jeff gets his built.

• 4 weeks later...

Fan-freakin-tastic.

Ditto, I've been watching quietly in the shadows . I took a tour of the dam several years back and got to see the vidoe of it being built. The guys back them had some bigones

All I can say is WOW. you nailed this replica perfectly

Thank you, Bill. It's given me a whole new prospective on the ingenuity and drive of all of the people that built the dam. Inspiration, really. Not only did I learn something about the truck but a lot more about the project as a whole. I visited it as well a few years ago when my daughter was living in Henderson, NV.

• 3 months later...

Last October I mentioned that JeffH was working on his version of the Boulder Dam AP. Well here are some pix of his work. A lot of progress in a relatively short time. He's shooting for NNL East to display it. We expect to prepare a backdrop of the dam construction site to go along with both trucks.

JeffsAP1.jpg

Here is the beginning of the two mixers that will be on the back of Jeff's rig.

JeffsAP6.jpg

And a bit more progress on the drums.

JeffsAP2.jpg

Here's what the truck looks like with the mixers mounted.

JeffsAP12.jpg

Jeff borrowed my truck to take off some of the detailing. When Boulder Dam was built some of the dumps were converted to haulers for the mixers.

JeffsAP13.jpg