Model Cars Magazine Forum

"McQ" movie car, 1973 T/A

The70judgeman

This started as a Monogram '70 1/2 Trans Am. It's not 100% updated to a '73...especially the interior. It's a replica from the 1974 movie "McQ", starring John Wayne as Det. Lt. Lon McQ and his "green hornet".

List of mods:

sanded grill and replaced with window screen painted black...retained Pontiac script

heater hoses

vacuum hose from brake booster

spark plug wires with homemade boots

aluminum coil

battery cables

BMF

MRC Goodyear Polyglas GT tires

Trans Am and Hood decal delete

Paint is Dupli Color Emerald Green to simulate Pontiac Brewster Green and Testor's One Coat Laquer Clear. I also weathered the underside, but didn't take any pictures. The model didn't turn out as well as I hoped. The hood doesn't close all the way and the paint started to chip by the hood hinges...oh well. I'll just display it with the hood open anyway.nmfgbn.png

nbfbhvm.pngIMG_3372.jpgIMG_3370.jpgIMG_3369.jpgIMG_3373.jpg

Edited by The70judgeman

Great job! One of my all-time favorite movies, and one of my all-time favorite movie cars... and a terrible waste of a gorgeous '73 Trans Am! Now for a challenge: Find an MPC '73 Caprice annual, convert it to a Bel Air sedan (is there a resin body for this???), and duplicate that car AFTER it's multiple barrel roll on the beach!

Looks very nice.

Thanks Ray.

Looks good. Never thought about doing that car in model before. Is it me or does the scene sound track from McQ following the truck sound like the one chase scene from Bullit?

Thanks Jason. Some of the soundtrack is the same, imo, or very similar. I think I've heard some of engine sounds in other movies as well.

Looks good, Andy, but that engine could use a good cleaning. :D

Yeah...I went a little overboard. Just wanted some of the engine detail to come through.

Great job! One of my all-time favorite movies, and one of my all-time favorite movie cars... and a terrible waste of a gorgeous '73 Trans Am! Now for a challenge: Find an MPC '73 Caprice annual, convert it to a Bel Air sedan (is there a resin body for this???), and duplicate that car AFTER it's multiple barrel roll on the beach!

Thanks Jim. It turned out to be a great movie, and the T/A was one of the stars for me too. When it was smashed between the trucks I was like "NOOO...THEY KILLED THE CAR!!!" Yeah...what a waste. Don't know about a '73 Bel Air though in resin.

Very cool, I always liked McQ's trunk mods, a tool board from which he grabs a replacement weapon early in the movie. Great film, which I need to watch again.

Thanks David. The "secret" compartment was pretty cool. A little too much for me to replicate though as I haven't successfully opened doors/trunks and hinged them yet. Edited by The70judgeman

Very nice build of one of the lessor know but great movie chase film cars. They used an explosive charge against a chunk of telephone poll mounted in the back seat area to launch the car into multiple roll overs. What a way to make a living !!!

Love the movie l have the dvd. VERY nice work, looks great..

Thanks Carl.

Very nice build of one of the lessor know but great movie chase film cars. They used an explosive charge against a chunk of telephone poll mounted in the back seat area to launch the car into multiple roll overs. What a way to make a living !!!

Thanks Jon. I stumbled onto the movie by accident, can't remember when, but when I saw the T/A...that was it...until it got destroyed.

I can't get the theme music of his movie out of my head after reading this post.........movie was heavily inspired by Dirty Harry and Bullit..........got to watch it again.

I'm thinking about watching it again soon too. :D

Very cool replica of a cool movie car.

Thanks Craig!

Nice model and great work!

Thanks Chris!

B)

This is real thinking outside of the (model) box for sure!!

I really like what You have done with this kit!!

That is one awesome movie too!

Did You know that the Duke turned down the role of Inspector Callihan?

Thank You for sharing

Later

Russ

;)

Thanks Russ. No, I didn't know Wayne was offered the Dirty Harry role, but yes, on the similarity of the two movie roles. To me, being a Pontiac fan, the car was more of the star in the movie...till they killed it :(. It's on my short list for a "wanted" vehicle to own. But, a model is probably the closest I'll get thanks to "rich" people driving the prices so high.

Hey Judgeman, I have just read through your thread with great interest and I too love your Trans-am. I remember the film from years ago and remember the scene where the car gets destroyed between the 2 trucks, what a great shame to see that. I also remember the imfamous beach chase scene with the barrel-rolling Impala. I also vaguely remember there was a Cadillac in that chase scene too but I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

Don't know if you are familiar with another John Wayne film from the 70's that was set in London that was called Brannigan, that had a great chase scene in it between a Jaguar and a Ford Capri. Also towards the end of the film, a Jaguar E type coupe comes to grief on the banks of the River Thames; yet another classic car destroyed for the film world.

Sorry to have rambled on but its great to see some of the more obscure and lesser well known movie cars and yours is one I would definately have in my collection.