Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 camaro pro-mod wip

Now, i have to give credit for this to Badgass (name may differ on other forums), as his build , along with other 1/16 scale pro-mods, gave me a lot of inspiration for this pro-mod. using badgass's method, i started to mark the board for the chassis. i want to use a hemi in this, and will try and scratchbuild it, but i need to do a lot of research first. i intend to use wheels from Micro Nitro with an array of after market parts and machined parts. and comments and advice are welcome. Here goes nothing...................

DSCF3020.jpg

DSCF3021.jpg

DSCF3022.jpg

DSCF3023.jpg

DSCF3024.jpg

thanks for looking in.

steve

cheers guys.

got the doors, boot lid and front end separated from the main body. like badgass, i kept the door window frames. made progress on the chassis to, with using 3.2mm tubing, i inserted an old electric guitar string in the upright to aid the bending. i have a small bending tool to help the process and reduce the prospect of getting a fold in the plastic. two holes were drilled into the rear of the chassis, and the upright had two small rods inserted, this was to hold the upright in place.

DSCF3025.jpg

DSCF3026.jpg

DSCF3027.jpg

DSCF3028.jpg

DSCF3030.jpg

DSCF3031.jpg

steve

Edited by doomcrew

well as my PS3 has died on me for a second time, i thought i would get on with the chassis. and you know what? i'm not bothered that the PS3 has stopped working for the time being, as i am enjoying this. got lots done as you can see, with a couple of adjustments being made along the way. still got plenty to do, but will have a break on sunday for NSRA Supernationals here in the UK.

dscf3050tr.jpg

dscf3051b.jpg

dscf3052l.jpg

dscf3053f.jpg

By metalhead6464 at 2012-07-28

steve

Looks like a lot of work and I admire you for making this chassis. Keep it up.

cheers. i will be getting some parts from your ever increasing stock to aid my eagerness for this build.

got some more done. here i have machined the gas pedal, along with the clutch and brake pedals, which all go on their scratched pedal assemblys. got the battery support, firewall, body mounts and the tops of the front suspension installed, and not forgetting the steering mount, also began building the steering rack.

dscf3376k.jpg

dscf3377h.jpg

dscf3382z.jpg

dscf3384t.jpg

dscf3385p.jpg

dscf3386.jpg

dscf3387d.jpg

dscf3389dq.jpg

dscf3391e.jpg

By metalhead6464 at 2012-08-03

thanks for looking in.

steve

a little more progress. got the tops of the front struts in place and started the suspension mounts. also started on the engine, which is mainly made from chemiwood, body filler to fix any mishaps and plastic stock. the scale repros plus blower and manifold are in place for reference only as i will making them.

dscf3392u.jpg

dscf3393v.jpg

dscf3395h.jpg

dscf3396l.jpg

dscf3401e.jpg

Edited by doomcrew

cheers guys.

@ micro nitro. i will be after a set of your wheels and brakes for this, especially after seeing them grace other large pro mod builds.

got some machining done today, the front struts 90% done, as i still have to put the spindles in and paint the springs. also did a couple of engine components and made the bracket from sheet aluminium which is not fully finished.

dscf3410g.jpg

dscf3412z.jpg

dscf3414u.jpg

dscf3415wu.jpg

By metalhead6464 at 2012-08-10

plenty more to come.

steve

cheers art.

battled with my faulty lathe again, and managed to turn out the clutch can. i based it on the dimensions of the revell part and matched it up to a scratch built plate. i used my proxxon micro milling machine to get a straight profile, atop and bottom of the lip and also for the clutch access. i made an access plate from 0.5mm ally plate with six 0.8mm holes drilled into the plate and can. the plate was then fixed with threaded 0.8mm bolts. the cans lip, was also drilled along with the backing plate, using a 1mm drill bit. 1mm threaded nuts, washers and bolts will used to fix the clutch can to the engine.

dscf3489y.jpg

dscf3490p.jpg

dscf3491e.jpg

dscf3494f.jpg

dscf3495h.jpg

dscf3496x.jpg

dscf3497c.jpg

dscf3499d.jpg

dscf3500e.jpg

By metalhead6464 at 2012-08-14

steve

thanks guys.

started doing the lenco transmission, as well as re-doing the mid mount plate, as the plastic one did not cut it for me. also did the engine mount and both were made out of 0.5mm aluminium. the gearbox was turned out of chemiwood with the detailing done out of plastic. although most of this will be hidden under a blanket.

dscf3501r.jpg

dscf3504m.jpg

dscf3508r.jpg

dscf3502m.jpg

dscf3505.jpg

steve

dscf3506h.jpg

By metalhead6464 at 2012-08-20

steve