Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Revell Charger front suspension

I have a question. I am going to start on my 68 Charger Revell kit and was wondering who has had success adjusting the front ride height? What is the best way to lower the ride height for a stock build? I have noticed most of the pictures of the 68 or 69 Charger the car sits high. Thanks

This is going to get moved to the "how do I " section pretty quickly, but for now, the answer really depends on how low you want to go. Just as in lowering a 1:1 car, the BEST way to do it on ANY independent front suspension is to RAISE the front stub axle relative to the spindle or kingpin.

It's pretty easy. Simply CAREFULLY cut the stub axle off the kingpin and raise it the amount you want to drop the car. If it's a fairly THICK stub, make sure it's square with the spindle and glue it back on with something like Tenax liquid cement that has a lot of penetrating strength and dries pretty fast. Like I said, make sure it's square and you do both sides exactly the same.

For a THIN or small diameter stub, what works best for me is to cut it off, drill a hole in the spindle to accept a piece of styrene or metal rod the same diameter as the stub, but raised the same amount you want to drop the car. Glue it in, and again be very sure it's square, and that both sides match exactly.

A more severe drop takes surgery to raise the control arms relative to the chassis.

That was moved fast. Anyhow thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Just cut the spindles off and reglue them higher, or you could flip the spindles upside down but then you could use your tie rod and have posable steering.

I would assume if I flipped the spindles then I could not pose the front wheels?

I would assume if I flipped the spindles then I could not pose the front wheels?

The steering knuckle on each spindle will be in a different/higher position if you swap the spindles side-to-side, which will cause steering linkage interference, and probably other issues. The steering is posable as long as the "tips" of each spindle are not glued to the control arms. The separate steering linkage connects both steering knuckles, so as long as they remain linked, both front wheels will "turn" and be posable.

I would suggest removing the spindles, and reattaching them higher up.